Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Is volvo v70 a good car? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316498)

volvolv May 1st, 2021 20:54

Is volvo v70 a good car?

Hi guys,

Looking around for v70 (after year 2008-2013)

Is it a reliable Volvo? What engine you would suggest as I can see there are different types of diesel and petrol available.

As well as manual or automatic?

MCFastybloke May 1st, 2021 21:04

I have a V70 D5 auto. 2 years and 30k miles. 2008 model

Came from a string of much more expensive BMW diesels and bought as a stop gap

It always delivers,never let us down, very comfy and relaxed drive,simple and cheap to maintain.

Poor infotainment,overall refinement and not very dynamic.

I like the seats,low dashboard and spacious front cabin ,simple home maintenance.Bills have been approx 2k for 30k miles, cambelt,gearbox oil,trailing arm bushes,fluids,oil. circa every 10k

We find the car very low key and comfortable,cheap and safe, In almost every way there are better cars out there but iurs is utterly charming and anticipate at least another 2 years on our driveway.

volvolv May 1st, 2021 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCFastybloke (Post 2733457)
I have a V70 D5 auto. 2 years and 30k miles. 2008 model

Came from a string of much more expensive BMW diesels and bought as a stop gap

It always delivers,never let us down, very comfy and relaxed drive,simple and cheap to maintain.

Poor infotainment,overall refinement and not very dynamic.

I like the seats,low dashboard and spacious front cabin ,simple home maintenance.Bills have been approx 2k for 30k miles, cambelt,gearbox oil,trailing arm bushes,fluids,oil. circa every 10k

We find the car very low key and comfortable,cheap and safe, In almost every way there are better cars out there but iurs is utterly charming and anticipate at least another 2 years on our driveway.

I've read online reviews and some people like and some don't. Like usual, different opinions.

Any rust at all?

Tatsfield May 2nd, 2021 01:12

The D5 diesel is a really great engine for power output and longevity.

Perhaps the most compelling reason to buy a V70 or XC70 is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGHsoF5F57s

I make no apology for linking this video yet again.

MCFastybloke May 2nd, 2021 04:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvolv (Post 2733466)
I've read online reviews and some people like and some don't. Like usual, different opinions.

Any rust at all?

No corrosion on mine at all, 2008 93k miles.

Bonefishblues May 2nd, 2021 10:34

Buy a D5 auto with a full service history and make sure you check the operation of the gearbox particularly carefully and you won't go far wrong.

The later 215bhp engine is worth having.

Kev0607 May 2nd, 2021 11:47

Go for the D5.

Great cars... reliable & comfortable.

In my opinion, the V70 is one of, if not the best estate cars you can buy.

hora1 May 2nd, 2021 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvolv (Post 2733453)
Hi guys,

Looking around for v70 (after year 2008-2013)

Is it a reliable Volvo? What engine you would suggest as I can see there are different types of diesel and petrol available.

As well as manual or automatic?

It needs proper and regular maintenance. Like any car. Buy one that's just had an annual oil change and you might get issues.

reggit May 2nd, 2021 16:49

Love mine, but it’s thirsty in comparison with my old euro 3 v70.
Also be aware that at that age, you’re buying someone else’s bad\missed maintenance as the cars are ageing.
Mine’s a high spec with great audio and the 205 euro 5 engine, it can fairly shift when needed, oh it’s got an autobox which took a bit of getting used to as I’ve always looked for manuals, but to be honest I like it.

Budget for belt changes and fluid changes if there’s no evidence of these being changed at the appropriate times.

Sotosound May 2nd, 2021 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by hora1 (Post 2733579)
It needs proper and regular maintenance. Like any car. Buy one that's just had an annual oil change and you might get issues.

Please can you elaborate?