Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Steering: Alignment Not Quite Right (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338809)

XC90KidNI Mar 16th, 2024 20:41

Alignment Not Quite Right

Hi All,

I've recently had my control arms (genuine Volvo parts), lower ball joints and two front tyres (Pirelli Scorpions - same as on rear) replaced. After having the tyres fitted, I had the car aligned (4 wheel alignment on a Corghi Machine at a reputable Tyre Centre). Since having that work completed, I've not been 100% satisfied with how the car is driving.

Initially, the steering wheel sat off to th right hand side and the car would drift to the left. After having the alignment completed, the wheel sits a little to the left whilst the car is going straight and has a tendency to go left when I let go of the steering wheel.

There's no noticeable clunks or abnormal noises from the suspension. I've had the alignment 'checked' at two separate tyre centres and they both indicated that the alignment was seemingly OK (also on Corghi machines).

I figured I was doing the right thing (genuine Volvo parts and quality/ branded tyres) but I'm a little at a loss thus far. I don't really want to drive the car as not to pull the tyres off it.

Anyone have an opinion on where I go from here?

Cheers

Carlosos Mar 16th, 2024 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90KidNI (Post 2941075)
Hi All,

I've recently had my control arms (genuine Volvo parts), lower ball joints and two front tyres (Pirelli Scorpions - same as on rear) replaced. After having the tyres fitted, I had the car aligned (4 wheel alignment on a Corghi Machine at a reputable Tyre Centre). Since having that work completed, I've not been 100% satisfied with how the car is driving.

Initially, the steering wheel sat off to th right hand side and the car would drift to the left. After having the alignment completed, the wheel sits a little to the left whilst the car is going straight and has a tendency to go left when I let go of the steering wheel.

There's no noticeable clunks or abnormal noises from the suspension. I've had the alignment 'checked' at two separate tyre centres and they both indicated that the alignment was seemingly OK (also on Corghi machines).

I figured I was doing the right thing (genuine Volvo parts and quality/ branded tyres) but I'm a little at a loss thus far. I don't really want to drive the car as not to pull the tyres off it.

Cheers

Maybe swap the tyres over side to side see if the tyres are doing it?

Phil Croxley Mar 16th, 2024 22:49

How did the steering feel and handle prior to having the work done?

XC90KidNI Mar 17th, 2024 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosos (Post 2941089)
Maybe swap the tyres over side to side see if the tyres are doing it?

That was next on my list - thank you, will let you know how I get on.

XC90KidNI Mar 17th, 2024 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Croxley (Post 2941090)
How did the steering feel and handle prior to having the work done?

Generally quite good - it did pull quite hard left under braking but the installation of the genuine control arms solved that problem (bad bushes) - no issues under braking now but floating left under ‘normal’ driving conditions. It’s definitely not road camber affecting the steering either.

XC90KidNI Mar 18th, 2024 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90KidNI (Post 2941105)
That was next on my list - thank you, will let you know how I get on.

So seemingly the tyres are good - swapped them over left to right and the symptoms persist :confused_smile:

Kev0607 Mar 18th, 2024 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90KidNI (Post 2941075)
Hi All,

Cheers

Are all the tyre pressure's okay?

If so, it sounds like they haven't aligned it properly.

If it was done right, the steering should be perfectly central for a start, and when central, the car should be going perfectly straight on a flat road. There should be no "off central" steering or pulling in any direction.

I'd bring it back to them and tell them you aren't happy, get them to check over it properly with a print-out ideally.

XC90KidNI Mar 18th, 2024 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2941259)
Are all the tyre pressure's okay?

If so, it sounds like they haven't aligned it properly.

If it was done right, the steering should be perfectly central for a start, and when central, the car should be going perfectly straight on a flat road. There should be no "off central" steering or pulling in any direction.

I'd bring it back to them and tell them you aren't happy, get them to check over it properly with a print-out ideally.

Agree Kev - Car has been in multiple places being aligned at this stage - 2 of which supplied print outs of the readings - all within tolerance etc.

Tyre pressures all good - checked those multiple times over the last week. All maintaining the same pressure. I usually run at 39PSI all round.

Kev0607 Mar 18th, 2024 17:52

Let us know how you get on.

TruckbusUK Mar 19th, 2024 16:05

You dont say what age of car you have, but there is at least 2 sets of settings for the XC90, it changes in MY2009, and maybe again later ... I had a really iff 4 wheel tracking done, and when I complained they checked with the VIN and had used the earlier setting, redone with the setting correct for my MY and the car drove perfectly, the garage blamed my private REG as being the reason, my answer to that was they couldn't be ar$ed checking and guessed incorrectly.

Worth checking. :regular_smile: