Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Had an accident! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315580)

CoopsSA Mar 30th, 2021 10:03

Had an accident!

Had a collision on the motorway this morning - I stopped in time, thanks to all the safety systems, but unfortunately the vehicle behind couldn't stop in time. Force of the impact at c60-65mph forced me into the van in front.

V90 stood up pretty well - grille damaged, front bumper slight damage, rear bumper damaged and tailgate.

One strange thing is that the drivers seat is "loose". It feels like it is leaning to the N/S. I wonder if the impact as done something with the WPS?? The angle can't be adjusted either.

familymangreg Mar 30th, 2021 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoopsSA (Post 2723721)
Had a collision on the motorway this morning - I stopped in time, thanks to all the safety systems, but unfortunately the vehicle behind couldn't stop in time. Force of the impact at c60-65mph forced me into the van in front.

V90 stood up pretty well - grille damaged, front bumper slight damage, rear bumper damaged and tailgate.

One strange thing is that the drivers seat is "loose". It feels like it is leaning to the N/S. I wonder if the impact as done something with the WPS?? The angle can't be adjusted either.

I hope you are OK and the Volvo protected you well. My instinct would be the that the drivers seat has somehow released as part of the active safety systems, protecting you against the impact and whiplash. Lets hope it's a pretty standard thing for Volvo to fix.

:wq

CoopsSA Mar 30th, 2021 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by familymangreg (Post 2723723)
I hope you are OK and the Volvo protected you well. My instinct would be the that the drivers seat has somehow released as part of the active safety systems, protecting you against the impact and whiplash. Lets hope it's a pretty standard thing for Volvo to fix.

:wq

Thank you, yes I'm fine.

I could hear how solid the V90 is when the third party hit me.

Polestar Pete Mar 30th, 2021 10:22

Glad to see you're safe. Hope the insurance sorts everything out.

Cull06 Mar 30th, 2021 10:54

1 Attachment(s)
I think one of the safety systems is it detects the rear collision prior to or instantaneously and drops the front seats in order to reduce whiplash. Which might explain this.

CoopsSA Mar 30th, 2021 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cull06 (Post 2723738)
I think one of the safety systems is it detects the rear collision prior to or instantaneously and drops the front seats in order to reduce whiplash. Which might explain this.

I suspect that's what it is. The angle can't be moved and it seems to be leaning to the left.

Philip Fisher Mar 30th, 2021 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoopsSA (Post 2723721)

My advice is to absolutely insist on a Volvo authorised workshop to do the repairs. The other party's insurer will desperately want to bolt you into their authorised repairer network but I would suggest you resist and go for a Volvo bodyshop only.

Additionally I hope you have some dash cam footage to prove you stopped before then being hit.

Can you still drive the car, or has it been recovered?

Cull06 Mar 30th, 2021 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2723761)

Additionally I hope you have some dash cam footage to prove you stopped before then being hit.
?

Don’t worry if you haven’t - a rear shunt is pretty much a closed case that its the other party’s fault.

Moonlanders Mar 30th, 2021 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cull06 (Post 2723764)
Don’t worry if you haven’t - a rear shunt is pretty much a closed case that its the other party’s fault.

Not necessarily that much of a closed case. The insurers of the car behind will always try to argue you had hit the one in front before their car hit you. That way they are only liable for one car and injury and not two.

Cull06 Mar 30th, 2021 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlanders (Post 2723771)
Not necessarily that much of a closed case. The insurers of the car behind will always try to argue you had hit the one in front before their car hit you. That way they are only liable for one car and injury and not two.

Well unless they have a statement from the fella in front or the fella behind saying contrary to your account, they won’t have much to go on.