Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Trader's Offers & Discounts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Main dealer Vs eBay (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57527)

Baffler Aug 29th, 2008 02:10

Main dealer Vs eBay

1 Attachment(s)
Well, we all know that the main dealer can be expensive for parts but what you are about to see below, in my opinion, is disgraceful.

These S/V40 alloy wheel caps (30812215) come up on eBay very rarely and people are under the impression that they are very expensive from the dealer. The attachment is from an eBay auction only held a few days ago and it fetched £33 for just one cap. I've just picked up two from my dealer for the tidy sum of €50. Just to reiterate...that's £40 for 2 brand new caps.

It just goes to show, you should check with your dealer before buying elsewhere.

Weezy Aug 29th, 2008 05:43

I have seen all sorts of things go for more than the shop price on e bay due to peoples ignorance,lack of homework or the "I will not be beaten" mentality .:regular_smile:
Buy a load of cap,s from the dealers and flog em on e bay.Just remember me when you make your 1st million :wink_smile:

Rufe Aug 29th, 2008 09:56

i see it all the time. another good example is the BTCC badges (TWR) from the 850. on ebay they come up as a rare item no longer available from volvo, and they sell for around £30, while a trip to the dealer would mean you could pick one up the same day for half the price.

also heard a few cases of scrap yards being more expensive than us for 2nd hand parts!

Baffler Aug 29th, 2008 22:50

I was just going back over my receipt from Volvo, along with a few other service parts and my 10% discount, I actually only paid €43.56 (£35) for the two caps.

Bernard333 Aug 30th, 2008 09:47

yes ebay is crap for a whole load of items , have been wanting to buy a Nikon camera , thought ebay would be the best place , found the model I want no problem but reading the small print its a refurbished return sent from Hong Kong ! but still if the price is right then I will buy , but no its not , checking with Jessops they have the same camera brand new and when I add in the cost of P&P and then take off the £60 cash back I can get through a promotion then the high street is actually cheaper and I will be happier arguing with a real live shop manager than trying to get service from someone in Hong Kong when the camera conks out .

NI_Volvo_Nut Aug 30th, 2008 10:09

aye, you see all these auctions with items selling at silly prices, ever tried to get a silly price for something your selling yourself lol

Bernard333 Aug 30th, 2008 11:04

yes , I am just checking the attic now , I have 2 worn out tyres 225/45 17 which the tyre changer in Strabane wanted to charge me 10 Euro to recyle them which I declined , decided was going to use them as plantpots but maybe I could sell them on ebay for £50.

jeff.warner Aug 30th, 2008 12:33

Hi.
I agree with sentiments expressed here, I needed a drivers door checkstrap for my 850, on ebay £20 - £25. Had mine brand new still in wraps f.o.c. from my dealer.

S40_Paul Sep 8th, 2008 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufe (Post 399615)
i see it all the time. another good example is the BTCC badges (TWR) from the 850. on ebay they come up as a rare item no longer available from volvo, and they sell for around £30, while a trip to the dealer would mean you could pick one up the same day for half the price.

also heard a few cases of scrap yards being more expensive than us for 2nd hand parts!

Now the TWR badge is something I am after for my S40 BTCC Replica!

Clan Sep 8th, 2008 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by S40_Paul (Post 402902)
Now the TWR badge is something I am after for my S40 BTCC Replica!

They were £17 in 1995 when i wanted one , i ordered one , it never turned up from Sweden are they freely available now then? How many in stock on VIPS?