Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   V40 t4 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316304)

jason11 Apr 24th, 2021 14:00

V40 t4

Hi, just saved a great v40 T4, 2003 model. Car is in great nick apart from the best bit, the engine, is toast. Will be stashing it away for the summer until funds replenish. If anyone has or hears about a decent engine can they please let me know, thanks.

qscgyjl Apr 24th, 2021 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason11 (Post 2731245)
Hi, just saved a great v40 T4, 2003 model. Car is in great nick apart from the best bit, the engine, is toast. Will be stashing it away for the summer until funds replenish. If anyone has or hears about a decent engine can they please let me know, thanks.

What is wrong with the engine?

jason11 Apr 24th, 2021 16:39

Not sure yet but not investigating it for a few months as want to get plenty of sheckles in place for the inevitable big bill. Car hasn’t been picked up yet so might get a nice surprise if it’s an easy fix but.......

jason11 May 2nd, 2021 23:01

V40t4

Anyway to update on the arrival of my latest toy, the V40 with a supposedly knackered engine. My usual mechanic went and picked the car up for me and was pleasantly surprised at the condition of it and also the fact that it idled perfectly & was able to drive it on the trailer! It’s in dark metallic grey with black leather and the 17 alloys, can’t remember the name of them, it looks good , no dents, rust or rubs on the bumper corners! Amazing. Anyway, after unloading, it sounded great until you gave it a few revs then it got very tappety sounding. After a quick look at it we worked out the cambelt was not as taught as it should be and has been on for 10 years & 40 k miles, not good. Mechanic reckons with a new belt kit & a service should be as good as new . Also needs front new springs &a back box which will all be sorted in early July. An itg filter, strut brace and masses of paperwork with 15 years of history came with it so wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been remapped either. All for £600 delivered! It’s even mint underneath 😁. I love old, fast volvos.

Joseph Martin May 3rd, 2021 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason11 (Post 2733661)
Anyway to update on the arrival of my latest toy, the V40 with a supposedly knackered engine. My usual mechanic went and picked the car up for me and was pleasantly surprised at the condition of it and also the fact that it idled perfectly & was able to drive it on the trailer! It’s in dark metallic grey with black leather and the 17 alloys, can’t remember the name of them, it looks good , no dents, rust or rubs on the bumper corners! Amazing. Anyway, after unloading, it sounded great until you gave it a few revs then it got very tappety sounding. After a quick look at it we worked out the cambelt was not as taught as it should be and has been on for 10 years & 40 k miles, not good. Mechanic reckons with a new belt kit & a service should be as good as new . Also needs front new springs &a back box which will all be sorted in early July. An itg filter, strut brace and masses of paperwork with 15 years of history came with it so wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been remapped either. All for £600 delivered! It’s even mint underneath 😁. I love old, fast volvos.

Excellent news, good to hear. Still hunting for a T4 when I can manage one to join my brace of 850 T-5s. The 17 inch alloys you refer to are called Arcadias.