Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : V50 2 litre petrol 2012 FWD (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=149902)

0167Felix Apr 5th, 2012 23:55

V50 2 litre petrol 2012 FWD

Recently, whilst taking delivery of above vehicle, the o/s drive shaft became detached from gearbox. Since there is a (steady) ball bearing providing registration for the shaft, how can this happen and what is rectification?

Daim Apr 6th, 2012 18:32

What do you mean with "became detached"? Bearing split?

frankie Apr 7th, 2012 19:15

Unless I'm missing something, which is normally the case, surely your 2012 car is still covered by the vehicle's warrantee, so why did you accept it, and if it wasn't from a Volvo dealer have you taken it to a dealer to ask what they think?

0167Felix Apr 7th, 2012 21:05

By detached is meant that the drive shaft splines (male) have moved axially out of engagement with (I assume) differential splines (female) inside gearbox.
The bearing mount securing bolts were in position and tight. Volvo Dealer has removed the drive shaft checked, cleaned and reinstalled. Car drives satisfactorily. Because I was unsure of this 'solution' a another (new) drive shaft has been fitted.

Yes the car has 3 year warranty.

0167Felix Apr 7th, 2012 21:16

Just an additional note, I see that i have not fully answered "DAIM". I was not informed of any damage to bearing, split or otherwise.

SonyVaio Apr 7th, 2012 22:10

Glad you've got it fixed now but I'm astounded that you accepted the car in this condition in the first place.

I would keep a good eye on that shaft/box and ensure that if you hear feel anything not quite right that you get it looked at, at the earliest opportunity. I would also ensure that Volvo have it noted on file of the condition the car was delivered to you so any future problems in that area you are not held liable for.

:star-wars-smiley-01

Volvorforlife Apr 7th, 2012 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonyVaio (Post 1134698)
Glad you've got it fixed now but I'm astounded that you accepted the car in this condition in the first place.

I would keep a good eye on that shaft/box and ensure that if you hear feel anything not quite right that you get it looked at, at the earliest opportunity. I would also ensure that Volvo have it noted on file of the condition the car was delivered to you so any future problems in that area you are not held liable for.

:star-wars-smiley-01

Plus 1 on that.

Daim Apr 8th, 2012 00:17

Sounds to me like the typical MTX75 problem. Only way around it, is to get the drive shaft glued into the gearbox. Had mine done before... Problem has since then gone. Volvo did a service bulletin here for that...

0167Felix Apr 9th, 2012 00:18

SonyValo (Volvoforlife)
I did not accept the car 'in this condition'! It was being delivered to me when it broke down and dealer took it back to fix as described. Information has been mixed so I am insisting on detailed report which will cover your other comments.

DIAM
I know the MTX75 is a Ford Gearbox and Ford did own Volvo. Are you saying V50 was fitted with version of MTX75?

Do you have a number for the Service Bulletin?

Daim Apr 9th, 2012 10:00

Yes, Volvo fitted the MTX75 too. In the 2.0l as a Q1. The 1.8l gas the B4 version.

Don't have the bulletin number.