Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   1974 145DL Estate breaking (Buckinghamshire) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311221)

The2ndMouse Oct 26th, 2020 22:27

1974 145DL Estate breaking (Buckinghamshire)

Hello all,
Just joined, in the hope that someone out there would be interested in parts from my dad's old 145DL estate which is breaking apart all by itself...

It is in a very poor state, genuinely not saveable as a whole. Most panels are rusted through and front suspension collapsed - its been left uncovered outside for around 25 years.

However, some bits of interior, instruments, glazing and stainless trim, light lenses, wheels etc may be of use to someone. The interior is the lovely brown vinyl, which I imagine could survive a nuclear apocalypse. It hasn't seen direct sunlight in decades. It has the rear-facing pop up seats. Engine will likely be seized solid, but gearbox and transmission may still be ok. Its 4 spd manual, I don't think it had overdrive.

I don't have any meaningful photos at the moment as it is still buried under ivy and leaves... but you all know what a 145 estate looks like, just imagine a really rotten green one. It's going to be dragged out in the next few weeks and sent off for scrap, but it would be really nice if at least a few bits can live on.

It's located in Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire (HP27). If you would like more info, please don't hesitate to ask... essentially, if you want anything, and you're prepared to come and get it, it's yours.

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

svenvolvo Oct 26th, 2020 23:30

Drivers door window quarter light

Hi Tom,
Do you have the drivers door quarter light window still intact and how is the drivers brown vinyl seat condition?Your welcome to contact me on
07716235350 Thanks Keith.

145estate Oct 27th, 2020 13:33

Hi Tom, I may be interested in the interior if its the correct coloured brown..Mines a sort of mid tan colour, whatsapp 07940458890
thanks Gary

Triple-S Oct 28th, 2020 11:03

Hello Tom
I hope to be in your area in the near future (just waiting for a mail from Amersham) and would like to look at the Volvo please. One person's opinion of a wreck is another person's goldmine!
If you care to mail me on paultill38@gmail.com with a location and best times for you I'll fit it all in. I need some decent doors (at least) for my 144 project.
Thanks
Paul

Underdrive Oct 28th, 2020 13:40

Whoever goes to remove parts from this car, could you please let know if it has a towbar that they would be willing to remove on my behalf. Thanks.

Triple-S Oct 31st, 2020 12:34

I have a genuine Volvo-made towbar I was going to fit to my 145, but as my day-car has one and would from experience always be smashing my shin into it on my 145 when on my drive, didn't bother despite repainting it!

Would be a long-haul from south of London you - guess my courier would charge about £15+. If you want pictures my email address is above....

P

Underdrive Oct 31st, 2020 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple-S (Post 2677585)
I have a genuine Volvo-made towbar I was going to fit to my 145, but as my day-car has one and would from experience always be smashing my shin into it on my 145 when on my drive, didn't bother despite repainting it!

Would be a long-haul from south of London you - guess my courier would charge about £15+. If you want pictures my email address is above....

P

Thanks Paul, sent you an email.

The2ndMouse Nov 2nd, 2020 16:58

Thank you to everyone who has shown an interest in this post, if i haven't replied to you directly yet i will get round to it, I'm not ignoring you!

The car is still submerged in undergrowth and likely to stay there for at least a month now with lockdown.

I'm not local to it unfortunately, otherwise i would have got some photos to post up on here. As and when that becomes possible again i will update you on the condition of any saveable parts. I can say with some certainty though that the bodywork will all be beyond help. I also now know that the windscreen is broken and the n/s/r door glass is missing, but it was covered with plastic sheets so I'm hoping the interior hasn't suffered too much.

Thanks again and watch this space in a few weeks time... hopefully.

Tom

Triple-S Nov 3rd, 2020 11:03

Thanks for that, Tom, however I fear this imminent lock-down may prevent non-essential motoring once in operation. I'd still like to view the car when convenient please (I'm not an essential business though, just retired) once we know for sure and you have unearthed it for photos/inspection. Looking forward to more info on what we'll be allowed to do in the near future.

Paul

Glenn Street Dec 7th, 2020 19:45

145 transmission tunnel

do you still have the body shell? i require a transmission tunnel, the whole section over the gear box to behind gear lever, it would need to be cut out, could do it myself if available, regards Glenn

adrdyebawtru Dec 9th, 2020 12:43

Can you tell me the registration no? My Dad had a similar one in green but it didnt have the rear facing seats so probably isnt this one

Thanks

ALLOA Dec 10th, 2020 13:48

bonnet

Is the bonnet reasonable or rusty?

Thanks

natmargetts Dec 19th, 2020 03:03

PM'ed :)

morwenna240 Jan 16th, 2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdrive (Post 2676727)
Whoever goes to remove parts from this car, could you please let know if it has a towbar that they would be willing to remove on my behalf. Thanks.

Ha! not found one yet?

morwenna240 Jan 16th, 2021 19:59

I am interested in the engine/ box. Has overdrive? Please text me 07984319748. Cheers, Mark. p.s. Underdrive, that nice maroon 145 recently flagged up has one, vid link to utube. Could ask guy who posted if would sell? Looks dead same as mine.

Underdrive Jan 18th, 2021 10:34

I'm still interested in the towbar offered by Paul Triple-S but lockdown restrictions seem to have put a stop to him being able to get a courier sorted, hopefully will get it one day! His is also a genuine Volvo but of a different design from yours (and the one in the video), it mainly bolts to the bumper mountings with nothing going forward under the tank. Skandix list one (but unavailable atm) that mounts in the same way. I get the feeling the guy in the video will want to keep that 145 as original as possible so will likely keep the towbar on it, he seemed to like all the period gadgets.

LankyTim Feb 26th, 2021 18:47

I wonder what happened to the poster and his 145?

LankyTim Feb 26th, 2021 19:52

oops, duplicate post.

Triple-S Feb 27th, 2021 09:19

To follow the law ANYBODY not authorised isn't allowed to go on unnecessary journeys, private collection of a bolt-on goodie not being one. My store is 40 miles away and haven't been there this year: fortunately my neighbour there is an essential recovery-truck driver and also lives there, so security is OK.
Therefore guess the 145-owner is like most of us and does what he is told, which going by the number of motorists stopped in a Police roadblock I saw a couple of weeks back (from the bus whilst shopping) is unusual.

P

The2ndMouse May 13th, 2021 20:07

Hello All,
Due to work and some pandemic or other I wasnt able to visit and get any photos of the 145 as promised months ago. But that does also mean it is still there and hasn't been scrapped yet.

My apologies to those of you who PM'd me, i couldn't reply to you as apparently I'm not allowed to send my own PMs yet as I'm still too new and untrustworthy! If you would like to PM me again with contact details i promise to reply!

To answer a few questions, the engine is probably only any good as an anchor now, the bonnet has rusted away, as has most of the structural bodywork I'm told. It doesnt have an overdrive. All the glass is intact apart from the windscreen and nsr passenger door glass.

I will get some photos up on here in a couple of weeks when i finally manage to get back there.

Thank you for your interest, and patience.

All the best

Tom

131annika May 23rd, 2021 13:10

carb

Hi, Tom has it got a B20 engine if so do you have the cabs thanks

The2ndMouse Jun 6th, 2021 10:14

5 Attachment(s)
Hello again, here at last are some photos of my dad's old 145. Unfortunately as you will see it is in a pretty bad way now, worse than I expected. The bodywork is probably best described as 'crispy'; as feared there's very little structural integrity, and is essentially being held in shape with glass and trim - most of which appears to be in fair condition still.

So far the following parts have been reserved: complete engine, steering components, front hubs, some external trim, front grille with lights and the replacement tailgate.

So that leaves whatever else you can see that may be of use/worth rescuing, although I realise that's probably not a lot now! Best to PM me with your contact details or email me direct with any queries tomtheed@hotmail.com

Many thanks
Tom

michaelgirraffe Aug 8th, 2021 20:23

did your estate get sent to the graveyard yet ??

silvos Sep 25th, 2022 13:21

Is it still available.

Hi, just come back to the Forum, my 74 145, rare SHED model, should be with me tomorrow. I would be inerested in coming to see the car and salvage some parts. Thanks Graham