Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Catalytic Converter theft 2004 1.6 petrol S40 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323754)

Ashash Feb 21st, 2022 18:16

Catalytic Converter theft 2004 1.6 petrol S40

Well, the reason for a sudden misfire & motorbike sound was that someone had tried to steal my catalytic converter from my 2004 1.6 Petrol Volvo. 2 cuts were found in the exhaust - either the angle slowed them down & / or they were disturbed. I now have to shell out £550 for a new exhaust and Catalytic Converter & my car is only worth £500-700 I reckon! I am worried that a newer exhaust and CC will inevitably be stolen. This was all in daylight on the street outside my work! Has anyone had the same issue? Bought a CC lock? Where from? It’s is Well, the reason for the misfire & motorbike sound was that someone had tried to steal my catalytic converter from my 2004 1.6 Petrol Volvo. 2 cuts were found in the exhaust - either the angle slowed them down & / or they were disturbed. I now have to shell out £550 for a new exhaust and Catalytic Converter & my car is only worth £500-700 I reckon! I am worried that a newer exhaust and CC will inevitably be stolen. This was all in daylight on the street outside my work! Has anyone had the same issue? Bought a CC lock? It’s is worth it? I see done offer etched serial numbers on them but not come across one for a 2004 Volvo S40 yet… Is it worth it?

Simmy Feb 21st, 2022 19:51

if its all still there get it welded back together far cheaper than replaceing

Ashash Feb 22nd, 2022 10:38

Welding

1 Attachment(s)
This is what the damage looks like: Attachment 140083

ITSv40 Feb 22nd, 2022 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashash (Post 2809378)
This is what the damage looks like: Attachment 140083

Any competent welder will soon have that welded up and fume proof.

magnuz Feb 22nd, 2022 11:36

I can't believe the scumbags still try to steal the old (sometimes) worn out cats from our old cars. You would think we would be safe, when there are richer pickings out there ?:angry_smile:
But have some others have said, it could be a straightforward job, to just weld up those cuts, unless the cut goes through to the topside of the pipes, then it may need to be removed to get to it, to weld it ?

Ashash Feb 22nd, 2022 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnuz (Post 2809387)
I can't believe the scumbags still try to steal the old (sometimes) worn out cats from our old cars. You would think we would be safe, when there are richer pickings out there ?:angry_smile:
But have some others have said, it could be a straightforward job, to just weld up those cuts, unless the cut goes through to the topside of the pipes, then it may need to be removed to get to it, to weld it ?

My local (non Volvo) garage said that it would be difficult to weld the top and it would have to be removed to do so. Also, as it’s a cast it would need a special welder. I am on tenterhooks as the rest of my exhaust (and other parts underneath) are rusty and I have an MOT due. My car isn’t worth much but it’s worth more to me. It may fail after spending £500 on it. I have already spent £500 on a new fuel pump! It happened outside not work where it was parked on the street & probably in broad daylight. I’m going to have a new exhaust & CC & they’ll probably target my car again thinking they can finish what they started…or have a lovely new exhaust & cc to steal. They don’t realise that those with old cars are the ones who can’t afford a new one & whose car will be a insurance right off if it is stolen / damaged.

ITSv40 Feb 22nd, 2022 21:30

If your garage has told you it would be difficult to weld as it is cast - they obviously don't want to do the job. The pipes are not cast, just bog standard exhaust pipe that is found on millions of cars. You need a different welder.

magnuz Feb 22nd, 2022 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashash (Post 2809513)
My local (non Volvo) garage said that it would be difficult to weld the top and it would have to be removed to do so. Also, as it’s a cast it would need a special welder. I am on tenterhooks as the rest of my exhaust (and other parts underneath) are rusty and I have an MOT due. My car isn’t worth much but it’s worth more to me. It may fail after spending £500 on it. I have already spent £500 on a new fuel pump! It happened outside not work where it was parked on the street & probably in broad daylight. I’m going to have a new exhaust & CC & they’ll probably target my car again thinking they can finish what they started…or have a lovely new exhaust & cc to steal. They don’t realise that those with old cars are the ones who can’t afford a new one & whose car will be a insurance right off if it is stolen / damaged.

As far as i'm aware,those pipes in the picture that are cut should only be mild steel, so should weld ok ? Maybe another garage would see things differently ?. But if you need a cat & don't want to spend a fortune then an aftermarket type approved cat will be a fair bit cheaper. Such as this one https://www.cats2u.co.uk/volvo/33745...r-vo6002t.html

canis Feb 23rd, 2022 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashash (Post 2809513)
as it’s a cast it would need a special welder.

Bull****, I've been welding up exhaust pipes for years. It's not cast (I presume they mean iron), it's ordinary mild steel. I'd weld that up in a heartbeat.

EDIT: As for not welding the top - the top hasn't been cut. Can see that just from the photo.

Simmy Feb 23rd, 2022 15:59

plus one on what canis says a good welder would have that done in less than 20 mins .