Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   New ipod search function (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=131781)

mfresh Aug 15th, 2011 18:42

New ipod search function

Well I just got my MY11.5 back from its free 3 month service and the dealer upgraded the Sensus software.

It seems that there is now a search function for the iPod: when you select Songs, Artists, Albums or anything else, a little search magnifying glass symbol appears in the top right of the screen, and you can use the phone buttons to enter a letter or two, and the display jumps straight to that.

Well sort of, anyway. It is very slow to react, and when I entered GOD to find God Save the Queen it jumped straight to Golden Touch, missing out about 20 tracks that start with God..., Going.... etc.

Still, if you go to Artists and press a single letter, it does take you to the artists beginning with that letter without the endless scrolling that you had before. Better than nothing, but a bit rubbish, all the same....

simonjedrake Aug 15th, 2011 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfresh (Post 966179)
Well I just got my MY11.5 back from its free 3 month service and the dealer upgraded the Sensus software.

It seems that there is now a search function for the iPod: when you select Songs, Artists, Albums or anything else, a little search magnifying glass symbol appears in the top right of the screen, and you can use the phone buttons to enter a letter or two, and the display jumps straight to that.

Well sort of, anyway. It is very slow to react, and when I entered GOD to find God Save the Queen it jumped straight to Golden Touch, missing out about 20 tracks that start with God..., Going.... etc.

Still, if you go to Artists and press a single letter, it does take you to the artists beginning with that letter without the endless scrolling that you had before. Better than nothing, but a bit rubbish, all the same....

It just searches the selection criteria within the menu you are viewing, so if like me you have over 60GB of "tunes" it is much faster than scrolling through the list. In you above example you can also enter a 2nd (& 3rd) character to narrow the selection down within that menu option. I find this feature to be very fast - what file format are your storing your "tunes"?

mfresh Aug 15th, 2011 19:34

They are pretty much all in MP3 format.

I've got about 60Gb of the little vermin, and as you say it is faster than scrolling through them all, but it still takes about 10 seconds (on my system anyway!)

You are right that you can enter a second and third character to narrow down your search, but as I said in the original post this doesn't seem to work quite right - it sometimes skips past the songs corresponding to the letters that have been entered.

Maybe this is standard on MY12, but I think it is quite new for MY11.5?

darbs Aug 15th, 2011 20:40

skipped God Save The Queen? maybe it's Scottish software? ;) anyway, what are you doing with God Save the Queen on your ipod? is it in case you have to attend any impromptu award ceremony? :D

mfresh Aug 15th, 2011 23:45

Tee hee hee!

It was the Sex Pistols version that Sensus seems to have taken offence to...

darbs Aug 16th, 2011 09:21

quality track. maybe a profanity filter was developed for the sensus based on the artist. ;) definately not one on the pre-sensus pod version. it seems to want me to turn the stereo up when RATM comes on! :D

drteeth Dec 18th, 2011 00:56

Do you know what is the version of the software you have ?
I have just picked my car from the dealer after the first service and having read your post I was hoping to finally get this ability to search my iPod with the letter
keys but there is no such option.
The software has been upgraded, my xc60 is MY2011

jimbg Dec 18th, 2011 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by drteeth (Post 1050413)
Do you know what is the version of the software you have ?
I have just picked my car from the dealer after the first service and having read your post I was hoping to finally get this ability to search my iPod with the letter
keys but there is no such option.
The software has been upgraded, my xc60 is MY2011

It is only the Sensus cars from MY11.5 onwards?

drteeth Dec 19th, 2011 01:42

jimbg do you mean early 2011 models lack this function despite software upgrade ? Is there any difference between Sensus systems in MY11 and MY11.5 then ? I couldn't see any TBH

jimbg Dec 19th, 2011 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by drteeth (Post 1051174)
jimbg do you mean early 2011 models lack this function despite software upgrade ? Is there any difference between Sensus systems in MY11 and MY11.5 then ? I couldn't see any TBH

Sorry, it was a question as much as anything else.

Most of the posts about missing Senus functionality have been regarding MY11.5 cars.