Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Brakes: Brake Caliper Brand (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339653)

MWMan Apr 26th, 2024 14:33

Brake Caliper Brand

Hi all
I changed my front brake calipers a few years ago, and also changed the discs and pads. The Calipers were non branded, but the discs and pads were Pagid.

I had a good look around this last week and the pads and discs are still in really good shape. (I only put a few thousand miles a year on the V70). However looking at the calipers, the seals look very badly cracked. The pistons are still free, and it may still pass an MOT, but I would like to take the opportunity to put some new calipers on this summer.

This time, I want to put good quality ones on there, so they last a good while. I'm not that familiar with all of the brands, but some names stick out, when I look through the likes of AutoDoc - Brembo, ATE, Febi Bilston, Bosch, etc. Can anyone suggest a brand that they have used and the seals have lasted well.
Many thanks

VOLVOBOY Apr 26th, 2024 15:53

Hi.

Why don`t you refurbish what you have ?
Seal kits are readily available.
Or , You could get hold of second-hand Volvo calipers and refurbish those ready to fit .

MWMan Apr 27th, 2024 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY (Post 2947311)
Why don`t you refurbish what you have ?
Seal kits are readily available.
Or , You could get hold of second-hand Volvo calipers and refurbish those ready to fit .

This is a good point. I did however try to this with the original calipers. I bought a Big Redd caliper repair kit, but could not get the seals to fit onto the caliper. See this thread I posted at the time. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288568

Having just read the original post however, I realise this was 2016, so the calipers I fitted have lasted longer than I thought.

Clan Apr 27th, 2024 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWMan (Post 2947368)
This is a good point. I did however try to this with the original calipers. I bought a Big Redd caliper repair kit, but could not get the seals to fit onto the caliper. See this thread I posted at the time. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288568

Having just read the original post however, I realise this was 2016, so the calipers I fitted have lasted longer than I thought.

Its highly unusual to have to refurbish a volvo caliper even going back 40 years and even on the cheapest 340. The 340 from 1988 in the family still has all it's original brakes and linings ( as well as everything else ) at 80,000 miles.

VOLVOBOY Apr 27th, 2024 11:02

Interesting to read your old post .
I`m surprised that you had so much trouble with the tightness of the fit .
i`ve used Big-Red stuff myself and not had too much trouble .
The trick with the outer dust seal is to fit it dry . Clean the rim where it sits to bright metal and trial fit the dust gaiter with the piston out . It should just pop over the lip after working it on around the diameter . Sometimes they wont stay on and pop back off so what i do is...
Fit the hydraulic seal to the piston.
Fit the gaiter to the piston.
Lube the hydraulic seal and insert the piston into the bore.
Put four small drops of super-glue evenly around the lip.
Work the gaiter over the lip and hold until the glue cures.

I agree that parts are not the quality that they once were.
Maybe try a different supplier or , if you are really lucky, you may get hold of some Volvo calipers where the the original gaiters can be re-used .

VOLVOBOY Apr 27th, 2024 11:09

I`ve found V40 rear calipers which were so rotten on the outside that they needed replacing . I`ve also found V70 front calipers where the piston was stuck due to corrosion and was badly pitted .

MWMan Apr 27th, 2024 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2947377)
Its highly unusual to have to refurbish a volvo caliper even going back 40 years and even on the cheapest 340. The 340 from 1988 in the family still has all it's original brakes and linings ( as well as everything else ) at 80,000 miles.

As I recall, the only reason I wanted to change the calipers, was the state of the outer seals. The caliper and piston were OK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY (Post 2947378)
Interesting to read your old post .
I`m surprised that you had so much trouble with the tightness of the fit .
i`ve used Big-Red stuff myself and not had too much trouble .
The trick with the outer dust seal is to fit it dry . Clean the rim where it sits to bright metal and trial fit the dust gaiter with the piston out . It should just pop over the lip after working it on around the diameter . Sometimes they wont stay on and pop back off so what i do is...
Fit the hydraulic seal to the piston.
Fit the gaiter to the piston.
Lube the hydraulic seal and insert the piston into the bore.
Put four small drops of super-glue evenly around the lip.
Work the gaiter over the lip and hold until the glue cures.

I agree that parts are not the quality that they once were.
Maybe try a different supplier or , if you are really lucky, you may get hold of some Volvo calipers where the the original gaiters can be re-used .

It's some time ago now, and my old memory isn't what it used to be, but as I recall, I spent quite a bit of time playing around with these to get the seals on. In the end I gave up and fitted new calipers. Its probably my skill set not being good enough. With the current ones I have fitted, as they are not Volvo original, I think I would prefer just to buy a quality set of aftermarket ones and fit those. Hopefully, they will outlast me!

JohnHenley Apr 27th, 2024 12:32

I had exactly the same problem as @MWMan fitting the outer seal. The caliper manufacturer, ATE I think, have a special tool to press the outer seal into place for a large sum of money.

In the end I bought some rebuilt calipers and fitted them.

Chance would have it, I came across this on ebay the other day, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335300826861?_ul=GB

Hope it helps someone.

VOLVOBOY Apr 27th, 2024 13:38

OK . I understand ...
If you want quality or near to OE then i would suggest ATE / TEVES or TRW .
Did you replace the front caliper hoses last time round ?
If not , then i strongly suggest you do as they have a habit of degrading on the inside .

MWMan Apr 28th, 2024 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnHenley (Post 2947387)
I had exactly the same problem as @MWMan fitting the outer seal. The caliper manufacturer, ATE I think, have a special tool to press the outer seal into place for a large sum of money.

In the end I bought some rebuilt calipers and fitted them.

Chance would have it, I came across this on ebay the other day, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335300826861?_ul=GB

Hope it helps someone.

This looks like the tool I could have used the Big Redd kit !!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY (Post 2947394)
OK . I understand ...
If you want quality or near to OE then i would suggest ATE / TEVES or TRW .
Did you replace the front caliper hoses last time round ?
If not , then i strongly suggest you do as they have a habit of degrading on the inside .

I was leaning towards ATE, so thanks for that. I hadn't thought about the caliper hoses, but after 20 years, I'm sure changing them would be a good idea. Thankyou.