Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Vacuum leak temp fix? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315972)

cbv8 Apr 11th, 2021 03:10

Vacuum leak temp fix?

Hi All,
Both my engine mounts are leaking air ie not holding a vacuum can i temporarily block off the turbo control valve until i get some vac mounts delivered as i am due to do a 400 mile round trip tomorrow:confused_smile: thanks for any advice :wink_smile:

Bashy Apr 11th, 2021 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbv8 (Post 2727704)
Hi All,
Both my engine mounts are leaking air ie not holding a vacuum can i temporarily block off the turbo control valve until i get some vac mounts delivered as i am due to do a 400 mile round trip tomorrow:confused_smile: thanks for any advice :wink_smile:

I am sure i have seen it been blocked off before it goes to the mounts on here before, perhaps that was just to test? Im sure someone with a lot more knowledge than I will come along soon...

cbv8 Apr 11th, 2021 04:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2727705)
I am sure i have seen it been blocked off before it goes to the mounts on here before, perhaps that was just to test? Im sure someone with a lot more knowledge than I will come along soon...

Thank you :wink_smile:

Dancake Apr 11th, 2021 04:52

Either block each vac line individually at the mounts or block both at the t-piece (trace back from the mounts). Kink the vac hose and secure with a cable tie.

cheshired5 Apr 11th, 2021 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbv8 (Post 2727704)
Hi All,

Blocking the vac hose just prevents vacuum issues with the VNT.

You're still going to be driving 400 miles on knackered engine mounts and I don't think anyone would or should be saying that that is a good idea.
Your car, your choice.

cbv8 Apr 11th, 2021 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2727779)
Blocking the vac hose just prevents vacuum issues with the VNT.

You're still going to be driving 400 miles on knackered engine mounts and I don't think anyone would or should be saying that that is a good idea.
Your car, your choice.

I did buy a complete mount set which were advertised to fit my 05 model but when the kit came the engine mounts have no vac connectors and none of the rest of the mounts/etc fit i am still trying to resolve this with the company.

cheshired5 Apr 11th, 2021 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbv8 (Post 2727789)
I did buy a complete mount set which were advertised to fit my 05 model but when the kit came the engine mounts have no vac connectors and none of the rest of the mounts/etc fit i am still trying to resolve this with the company.

I sympathise with your situation and the timing.
I've had diffult judgement calls myself.

I'm just pointing out that no one should be recommending that it's ok to drive on knackered mounts.

Dancake Apr 11th, 2021 14:53

Cbv8, I'm sure you weighed up your options before asking for advice. An engine mount that no longer holds vacuum will in most cases still function perfectly well as an engine mount, doing its job of securing the engine to the subframe. Unless it's physically damaged and causing excessive movement, it should be perfectly serviceable for 400 miles and the rest. In an ideal world it should be replaced, but with any component on a vehicle the condition at the time of inspection determines the urgency at which it should be replaced.

cbv8 Apr 11th, 2021 17:52

Thanks for the replies and weighing this all up i am going to leave as is and take it steady and replace mounts asap on my return :thinking2: