Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Generic Parts Wanted (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   B230 upgrade cam (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=190847)

Madmatt01 Oct 18th, 2013 23:03

B230 upgrade cam

B230. Cleaned head / skimmed. Lightened flywheel
On carbs running webber carb.

I am after an upgrade cam... Running a B at the moment.... Any body got an upgrade or reccomendations?

I can also get hold off 240. 740 and 940 parts quite easily so pm if anything needed.

Also end off life volvos bought in the south. Dorset and surrounding

Thanks

classicswede Oct 19th, 2013 21:33

Hi Matt,

if you can give me a bit more info on your engine spec I can give you some better advice on what cam to use and might even have what you need.

Madmatt01 Oct 20th, 2013 10:36

Running webber carbs.
Lightened flywheel
Cleaned / polished head. Valves re-seated.
Standard otherwise

Always in 2nd gear while race. Just want something with more 'get up and go' and good power right the way through.

Thanks

classicswede Oct 20th, 2013 19:03

Are the webbers 45's, 48's or 50's?

To make a cam upgrade really work you want to go for bigger exhaust valves and port the head. The ports do not need opening up but need reshaping.

Madmatt01 Oct 20th, 2013 19:30

The carbs are 32/34 ford carbs made to fit volvo manifold.
Head is being ported tomorrow valves came out today.

Think I'm going to go for a k cam.... So now just to find one! Haha

classicswede Oct 20th, 2013 22:01

I should have a K cam around. The K is a nice mild cam that is good for towing, they were standard fitment to the B230E in the late 240GLT. The early GLT had a rare H cam that is a tiny bit hotter. Both the K and H are good upgrades for B19/21 and B200 engines.

For any kind of motorsport you should be looking at either a performance Volvo grind or an after market one.

Carb wise the 32/34 is going to be holding the engine back a lot. Converting to the mechanical K jetronic fuel injection would give a good reliable power gain. If a set of 48 webbers is out of range then bike carbs are a possible option.

Madmatt01 Oct 21st, 2013 08:11

We're trying to keep it simple at the moment.
We may possible use a degas 3ltr carb

We prefer to run darn rather than electronical due to the crashing nature off the sport

If you do have a better cam to sell it would be much appreciated
Anything has got to be better than the b cam I have at the moment

Thanks

Madmatt01 Oct 24th, 2013 20:24

Bump.... Anything guys? :beer_yum:

barkster1971 Oct 24th, 2013 22:32

na

I presume the car isn't turboed? The K cam isn't mild in a turbo car. You'll be struggling to get 180 bhp na from a B230. I'd go for T cam if it's low down torque you require in 2nd. The V,K,H cams would work well in turbo cars higher up the gears.

davebslater(uk) Oct 24th, 2013 23:43

vx is the one that comes in the NA 531 head .. what type do you have ?

ive got an X cam which is better than a T cam with more lift . H is really what you should be after .

what manifold do you have ?

converting back to a single 1.75 in stromberg/SU may be better than mucking about b230k manifold which it sounds like .

find a 531 head , it doesnt need touching , if anything de shrouding in the combustion chamber ..