Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   V70: Handbrake control module (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323007)

Mrhitman48 Jan 22nd, 2022 20:27

Handbrake control module

Hi All
Looking for your advice, or input, I have just had to do the rear brakes on my v70 2008 estate, it has an electronic hand brake, I have my own diagnostic system which I used to put the handbrake into service mode, which wound the motors off, however after doing the job, I tried to take the service mode of or deactivate the service mode, but the car will not come out, of the service mode, meaning I am unable to use the handbrake, also I have a warning on the dash that the handbrake isn't released but I know it is, my fear is that the handbrake control module has gone down, there are 2 with identical part number on ebay, one from a 2lt deisel and the other from a 2.4, both the same year, 2008, mine is a 2008, my question is, if I purchased one ot these handbrake modules, are they plug and play or do they need coding, as the new/second hand unit will be identical to the one I will be changing.

Thanks Paul

Black dog Jan 22nd, 2022 21:41

Your own module will be fine. Sometimes we have had some minor issues with them in service mode. Go back in with your tool and activate service mode again, then deactivate service mode a few seconds later. Hopefully it should then close.
Be sure all connections on the rear caliper s are fitted correctly first.

Mrhitman48 Jan 23rd, 2022 12:19

Black Dog Thanks for the Reply, do you think the handbrake module will be faulty, if I get a second hand one with the same part numbers will it need to be programed.

big square car Jan 23rd, 2022 12:58

Had same problem with my 2008 V70 a number of years ago. The brakes would not reset after changing the pads. I drove around for a couple of days with no parking brake and the warning flashing and shouting at me. I thought I was going to have to get it down to the dealer so I gave it one last go and it reset!
Maybe a dodgey connection or just 'a bit of electric in the wrong place!
I was using an Autel 301 EPB tool

Mrhitman48 Jan 23rd, 2022 13:04

I am using the delphi software and a laptop with the old2 data box, also known as the cap plus or autocom.

Black dog Jan 23rd, 2022 16:28

No the module is not faulty and won't need replacing. We had the same issues using launch. The problems seem to arise when the pad change is slow and the modules within the car go to sleep mode during the change.
Hook up your Delphi again clear any faults from the parking brake module and then (what we do) entre service mode first then exit service mode and they should close.
We found it only worked when we tried to put the module in service mode before closing although it already was in service mode. Perhaps something in the software of the tool.
Good luck.

Mrhitman48 Jan 23rd, 2022 17:04

Hi Black Dog, I have tried, and it still isn't working, will git it another try tomorrow then order a second hand part for it with the same part numbers.

Black dog Jan 23rd, 2022 17:32

Have you any faults loged? I've not known the modules to go faulty and the fact it was ok before the pad change suggests it's the tool not completing the job

Mrhitman48 Jan 24th, 2022 20:41

Hi Blag Dog, I have tried everything you have suggested and still no jou.

Black dog Jan 24th, 2022 21:53

I still don't think your module is bad. Have you any faults stored?
It may be worth checking if anyone local has Vida they may recalibrate it for a few beer tokens