Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 T8 Recharge slow charging (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339083)

essjay2730 Mar 30th, 2024 15:27

XC60 T8 Recharge slow charging

Based in the UK we took delivery of our XC60 T8 recharge yesterday and noticed it only charges via our Zappi (phase one) at 3.7kwh. The battery is the new larger one of 18kwh and I recall when buying the car we were told they had increased the charging capacity on phase one to 7kwh. It seems from order to arrival something has changed. My EV charger can charge up to 7kwh but not sure the car can take it. Anyone else experiencing this? Am I missing something?

rhd443 Mar 30th, 2024 15:42

If it's single phase, I think that's right for a Volvo hybrid, public chargers are usually three phase and you can take advantage of the extra speeds.

What does the user manual state for your model? I suspect it states 3.6kw for single phase max.

Not sure if this is your model but..: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...h=Phase&page=0

sk546 Mar 30th, 2024 15:52

I dont think the T8's are capable of taking more than 3.7kwh when recharging. Looking online at the new cars specs, it says it charges 0-100% from a wallbox in 5 hours. Nominal battery recharge capacity (including thermal loss's and the portion of the battery capacity that is never used) is around 18kwh's. 18/5= 3.6 which would indicate that Volvo never did increase the charging capacity of the T6's or T8's even though it did suggest they would (or did in another market as I seem to recall it mentioning something about DC charge rates going upto 7.4kwh????).

Most other manufacturers are at least charging their PHEV's @7.4kwh's these days, just another cost cutting exercise from Volvo im afraid.

My MY22.5 with the 18.8kwh battery has only ever charged at 3.7kwh's too but I can still get the vast majority of my charging done in the 4.5 hour overnight off-peak charging window with Octopus so it's never annoyed me too much.

Murph7355 Mar 30th, 2024 18:41

I believe they note faster charging on triple phase supplies.

I haven't even received our new XC90 T8 and that and the loss of steering wheel controls that can control key functions are already irritating me :)

sandys Mar 30th, 2024 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk546 (Post 2943080)
Most other manufacturers are at least charging their PHEV's @7.4kwh's these days, just another cost cutting exercise from Volvo im afraid.

My MY22.5 with the 18.8kwh battery has only ever charged at 3.7kwh's too but I can still get the vast majority of my charging done in the 4.5 hour overnight off-peak charging window with Octopus so it's never annoyed me too much.

Is it cost cutting if they never supported it in the first place?

BTW, in case you didn't know, with a recent update from myenergi the Zappi now supports intelligent octopus with the Volvo so you can now use that tariff for a longer cheaper charging window, it'll even count when you pre-heat.

Danny 1957 Mar 31st, 2024 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by essjay2730 (Post 2943073)
Based in the UK we took delivery of our XC60 T8 recharge yesterday and noticed it only charges via our Zappi (phase one) at 3.7kwh. The battery is the new larger one of 18kwh and I recall when buying the car we were told they had increased the charging capacity on phase one to 7kwh. It seems from order to arrival something has changed. My EV charger can charge up to 7kwh but not sure the car can take it. Anyone else experiencing this? Am I missing something?

Mine is exactly the same using Zappi.

sk546 Mar 31st, 2024 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandys (Post 2943122)
Is it cost cutting if they never supported it in the first place?

BTW, in case you didn't know, with a recent update from myenergi the Zappi now supports intelligent octopus with the Volvo so you can now use that tariff for a longer cheaper charging window, it'll even count when you pre-heat.

Volvo made a conscious decision to not increase the cars charging rate to reduce costs (as a 7.4kwh internal charging unit is more expensive than a 3.6kwh unit) and in doing so, not keep up with its competitors in the same segments. The T8's battery size has increased 3 times since its inception, 10.4kwh, 11.6kwh and now 18.8kwh but the charging rate has always remained at the bog standard 3.7kwh.
Call it what you will but to me, thats still cost cutting.

I keep checking but my intelligent Rolec Wallbox still doesn't support intelligent octopus so I'm stuck with the shorter charging window..........:sad-smiley-047:

nfshirley Mar 31st, 2024 10:09

When you download the information on the T8, it states 19kWh battery with 3 hour charging home with an asterix.

The ssterix states: * Typical time to charge from 0 to 100% with 11kW AC-fast charging (Type 2) 3-phase 16A.

Which is a little ambiguous, but like you, I would have thought it would have charged at the highest it could do, rather than the 3.7kwh.

sk546 Mar 31st, 2024 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfshirley (Post 2943180)
When you download the information on the T8, it states 19kWh battery with 3 hour charging home with an asterix.

The ssterix states: * Typical time to charge from 0 to 100% with 11kW AC-fast charging (Type 2) 3-phase 16A.

Which is a little ambiguous, but like you, I would have thought it would have charged at the highest it could do, rather than the 3.7kwh.

Nothing ambiguous there at all, the car is charging at the fastest it can do on Single phase which is 3.7kwh. The key part there is 3-phase for the faster charging so unless you have a 3-phase charger fitted at home, you will only get 3.7kwh. The OP only has Single phase charger.

Simon703 Apr 1st, 2024 17:57

My experience has been my T8 charging at 3.7 KWh with OHME Home charger, when at a hotel recently it charged at 7.4 KWh, I assume they had 3 phase.