Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Too reliable (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310666)

Bendolfc Oct 7th, 2020 18:39

Too reliable

Another MOT another boring pass. 216K and 10 years old and it just won't die. After almost buying an xc60 last year but missing out on the 3 that came up in 6 months with the right spec, I decided to keep the S40 until it dies and then to probably replace with an EV.

Surely it can't have long left, still on original clutch, exhaust etc. Looks like at this rate I'll be stuck with it for another 3 years when the cam belt will be due.

Markos01 Oct 7th, 2020 20:33

Incredible mileage to still have the original clutch and exhaust! Good work!:cool:

T5R92011 Oct 7th, 2020 22:25

Good stuff.

But 10 years old? Surely you mean 15 years old, unless your signature bit is out of date.

Bendolfc Oct 7th, 2020 23:29

Aha yes seems I can't count, it is of course 15 years old. Certainly didn't see myself keeping it this long when I got it.

Welton Oct 8th, 2020 07:12

Hey, I've had mine for 11 years so you won't be escaping anytime soon!

Mine has always sailed through MOT's but then if you look after a car, maintain it, check and listen out for odd noises etc then it shouldn't fail an MOT on anything drastic.

From my time on this forum it seems to me that with the 2.0D you either get a good one or a problem one - yours is a good one :cool:

I think an early S40 should get to 20 years old without too much problem.

Bendolfc Oct 9th, 2020 16:20

The 2.0d isn't a bad engine, provided its an early pre DPF one. It's reasonably quick although it sounds bloody awful when you do put your foot down from a stand still.

As with anything maintenance is the key, mine was originally owned by BT fleet and their maintenance seems to be fairly decent. After issuing an independent for my first service when they wanted to change the exhaust and used crappy after market wheel bearings that lasted about 9 months, I started having it serviced at Volvo for not that much more and was told the exhaust would last the life of the car and the replacement wheel bearings they fitted have lasted 9 years so far.

The free volvo assist cover for the service was useful when one of the locking wheel nuts snapped and it had to be recovered, the free loan car was handy, although it was a brand new Huyaundi Tuson. It was horrible to drive.

My lost 2 services have been at the garage up the road, mainly because last year I planned to get rid and this year I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of taking it to Volvo in Covid times.

Time will tell if the local garage servicing is detrimental but the cash for replacement is day in the bank..

x DTR x Oct 11th, 2020 21:31

Mines at 194k and just sailed through another mot, original clutch and exhaust too. Apart from filters and starter motor, everything under the bonnet is original! I service it every 6k and any clonks or rattles are addressed immediately. Been the best car I've owned to date and have no thoughts of getting rid just yet.

The Thong Oct 12th, 2020 18:33

1 Attachment(s)
I had a 2006 V50 for three years. It had a few age related issues but it was a fine motor., nice drive. The previous owner had been a bit of a slacker but once I’d caught up with the issues it rolled on and on.

TT

Bendolfc May 8th, 2021 14:58

1 Attachment(s)
I jinxed that a bit. Ended up replacing 2 calipers a couple of months back. Then got the unmistakable drone of a failed wheel bearing and have noticed its started to deposit some oil on the drive.

Rather than spend money on it when it's on the original clutch still and that will likely need doing at some point, I've just bought an E Class instead. Will miss the Volvo but the Merc feels huge despite only being 43cm longer.

blacklab May 8th, 2021 15:59

Looks nice, enjoy it!