Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Any owners of a XC90 B5 mild hybrid diesel. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316180)

palmig Apr 19th, 2021 19:53

Any owners of a XC90 B5 mild hybrid diesel.

Hi everyone.

I am currently considering a XC90 B5 mild hybrid diesel, are people happy with the car ?

Also if someone has experience towing with this car.

my other choice is a Audi Q7 60 TFSI.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

MK09 Apr 19th, 2021 22:53

Can’t comment on towing but I have an XC90 R Design B5 Diesel (new in November) and whilst I’ve not done that many miles due to lockdown, I’ve been very impressed so far.

A bit vocal on start up, but once you move through the gears it’s smooth, refined and with plenty of power and torque. The mild hybrid system works seamlessly, with the stop-start the smoothest and most unobtrusive of any car I’ve owned.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the fuel consumption for such a big, heavy car, achieving late 30s and even 40 mpg on longer runs (mpg around town unsurprisingly drops considerably).

I test drove the B5 petrol and diesel models and ultimately felt that the diesel suited the XC90 better. I appreciate that this is a personal choice and understand why others will have opted for petrol, particularly those who do mainly shorter journeys.

Based on my first few months of ownership, I would recommend.

nu11eaf Apr 20th, 2021 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmig (Post 2729984)
Hi everyone.

I am currently considering a XC90 B5 mild hybrid diesel, are people happy with the car ?

Also if someone has experience towing with this car.

my other choice is a Audi Q7 60 TFSI.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have an XC90 D5 which is the same engine with power pulse instead of the mild hybrid motor, I tow a 1500kg caravan and if tows very well, plenty of power from the small 2ltr engine, it pulls effortlessly, always has power in hand to cope with steep hills and auto hold makes hill starts a doddle. Get the Volvo folding towbar to make the most of the integrated features.

jonnyu Apr 20th, 2021 14:09

Although the Q7 is a strong candidate, the XC90 is still a better choice.
It drives better, it offers you hybrid engines only however the model will be replaced next year.

cumbrian lad Apr 21st, 2021 07:16

Hi

I have a 69 plate B5 Mild Hybrid Diesel towing a 1750kg mtpm caravan and can confirm that the XC90 tows it with ease.

It is equal to my previous XC60 1st gen with the original 5 cylinder D5 which pulled like a train. I admit I had doubts going to a 2 litre but am very pleased with the car.

Solo in mixed driving it returns between 37 and 40 mpg, towing as expected it drops to 26/28 mpg - these mpg figures are a lot better than my previous D5’s.

I had the dealer fit the retractable tow bar which you should be able to get a good discount on when buying.

Robbo016 Apr 24th, 2021 07:35

Hi
I’ve got a 69 XC90 mild hybrid, since July last year.
Been thoroughly impressed as moved from BMW to Volvo, was a little concerned but needn’t have been.

Agree with other posts, I get 40mpg plus on long journeys but around 30mpg on short around town journeys.

Stop / start, engine is fine and runs well, plenty of power, although can’t comment on towing.

Looked at T8 as well, but range of mileage on electric only being c. 25miles real world put me off, if had been c. 50 like BMW hybrid would have gone for it.

Loads of space as well.

Scotia64 Apr 25th, 2021 16:56

I tow a Bailey unicorn 4 with my B5, very smooth & stable , more than enough power to pass on motorways & go up steep hills.
My only complaint that is if call it a complaint is the mpg while towing, I get about 27mpg , I was hoping for low 30’s because on a solo run I easily get 50mpg.

Beancounter27 Apr 27th, 2021 18:36

Happiness with Mild-hybrid

I have only covered 800 mls in my MY2020 B5 Diesel (bought 2nd hand end February) but am happy to report back on my experience. The vehicle is my first Volvo after 30yrs of BMWs with the occasional Mercedes (not recommended!) and a few VW products.

My fear that the XC90 would be under-powered was wrong - the hybrid power gives a considerable power boost when needed eg overtaking or pulling out of a junction into fast traffic. Economy is good with an average of 32mpg thus far which includes many short journeys and I’ve seen 40mpg on longer journeys which is impressive for such a large car.

I love the driving environment and comfort but am disappointed by the relative roughness and vibration from the 4 cylinder diesel engine. I miss my BMW every time I start the Volvo (unless I do it remotely from the app) but there’s a substantial price difference and the XC90 suits our purposes.

Discoman Apr 27th, 2021 19:31

The D5/T5/B5P/B5D are all plenty strong enough for a car of this type. 8 seconds and below to 60 is not slow.

I started looking at the Q7 but could not get my head round its looks. Despite being late in its product run I still think the XC90 is the easiest SUV on the eye.

bluey_xc90 Apr 30th, 2021 18:59

Good to read all of this. About to pull the trigger on a new 22 model r design b5 diesel on tuesday and tow a Elddis supreme 840. 8m and 1.8t...!

Have a gen 1 xc90 which towed fine but now 10 years old with 100k on the clock (had since 11 months old) and wanted to check the new one was as good (sounds better which is to be expected!)