Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Electrics: OEM batteries vs branded (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318822)

Alwyn Jul 30th, 2021 21:24

OEM batteries vs branded

Surprisingly OEM batteries in the UK are generally cheaper than top brands like Bosch.

I replaced the battery on our 2011 XC70 in June 2020 and already am getting low battery message if power is left on for only a few minutes.

Out of the blue our C30's battery died. Because the XC70 was in for body repair we asked our local garage to get a replacement. They usually order parts direct from a Volvo dealer but to save time got a Bosch delivered the same day. I only later discovered that it cost 46.4% more than an OEM.

Is there any difference in performance/reliability between Bosch and OEM?

Simmy Nov 18th, 2021 17:50

there is abt 4 different specs for bosch batteries top spec is probly same as oem dont buy cheap car batterys they are cheap for a reason. my top spec bosch replacement is now 7yrs old . you get what you pay for some folk have reported that yuasa is a good choice.

Tannaton Nov 18th, 2021 22:34

Bosch usuall has a number from S3 to S6 - the latter being the most expensive and with a longer warranty.

No-one would knock Bosch batteries - they're very good - but the Volvo OEM units are usually exceptional in their performance and lifespan.

AndyJudge Dec 9th, 2021 16:00

Just so Happens the battery died on the XC60 on Monday whilst parked up at a very cold & Wet RAF Lakenheath viewing area.

Rang Volvo assist, turned up in just over an hour, Jumped car & tested the charging circuit (all OK) Battery (Toast).

Car was on the original battery from build in 2014 so I thought it'd had a pretty good innings with Covid & all that.

New Volvo Battery of exact specification £99 fitted, can't grumble at that.

JJD1 Dec 9th, 2021 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJudge (Post 2791870)
Just so Happens the battery died on the XC60 on Monday whilst parked up at a very cold & Wet RAF Lakenheath viewing area.

Rang Volvo assist, turned up in just over an hour, Jumped car & tested the charging circuit (all OK) Battery (Toast).

Car was on the original battery from build in 2014 so I thought it'd had a pretty good innings with Covid & all that.

Thats cheap !

andy_d Dec 9th, 2021 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJudge (Post 2791870)

that will teach you to be a plane spotter ! :tounge_smile::shocked:

AndyJudge Dec 10th, 2021 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJD1 (Post 2791871)
Thats cheap !

Yep I was a bit taken aback when he gave me the price.