Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tailgate wiring (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325059)

morwenna240 Apr 26th, 2022 09:17

Tailgate wiring

Does anyone know where i can get the extra flexy wire used originaly in tailgate wiring loom? Just doing this horrible job for mot, having to use stock wire, prob last two yrs as i use my tailgate a lot. Cheers.

Othen Apr 26th, 2022 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by morwenna240 (Post 2821081)
Does anyone know where i can get the extra flexy wire used originaly in tailgate wiring loom? Just doing this horrible job for mot, having to use stock wire, prob last two yrs as i use my tailgate a lot. Cheers.

I think Chris used a loom kit from Brookhouse Volvo, which he said worked fine. Here is a link to his thread:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=617

Bob Meadows Apr 27th, 2022 15:43

You should get longer than two years:~
Using shrink on sleeves will also help.

I've done one side on my car some years back and all fine to date- I don't think
the original wire had been braided if that is the type you are after?
Bob.

Clifford Pope Apr 27th, 2022 19:27

I don't think it was fantastic idea to use either kind, routing in such a tight turn through the hinge. After going to a lot of trouble some years ago to replace failed wiring with the "proper" kind, it failed after about a year.
Since then I've used ordinary wire but looped externally to the hinge, positioned in such a way that it coils itself as the gate opens and shuts.

It's not as neat as the original, but it doesn't break!

Incidentally there are two versions of the loom, depending on the model. I bought the wrong one, and ended up soldering on matching connectorsto the main wiring so that they would fit.

morwenna240 Apr 27th, 2022 23:04

Forsooth. Do u mean, Clifford, looped outside of hinge, coming out of car thru holes u drilled? I looked at Simon's looms, but didn't want to pay the price to replace 9" of wire. I have spliced in new bits to go thru hinge, making sure of enough slack for when tailgate open, an used the shrink/solder connections. On offside, the wires to wiper motor are a right pain to get to, anyway.

Clifford Pope Apr 28th, 2022 07:56

Not exactly drilled - I cut a little nick in the edge of the headlining, and self-tapped a thin piece of plastic to the edge of the metal lip so that the bundle of wires were secured and pointed in the right direction.

Chris152 May 1st, 2022 11:00

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of how we did ours is attached - we've now done both sides with the bypass method. Previous repairs to both sides consisted of loads of wire connections attached to depleted looms, creating what looked like rancid plates of spaghetti, presumably to save a few quid on a new loom.

Clan May 1st, 2022 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by morwenna240 (Post 2821081)

Have you asked the dealer ? the proper looms last many years as the wire is very fine with many threads to make it very flexible . make sure it is not pulled tight in the hinge when fitting .

hennabm May 1st, 2022 12:57

The one and only previous owner of mine was a sparky. So bc when it came to repair the two wires, he went for the bypass method using household 3 core. :shocked:
Being a white car and white wiring, it doesn’t stand out.

morwenna240 May 3rd, 2022 19:37

Thanks for all that, people. All done now, new wires in an working. I guess it would have been easier to buy the looms from Simon, i just didn't want to shell out £50 at the time. Chris 152's solution looks good.