Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   S80: Electrical Battery dead - knackered? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319953)

Elninio1999 Sep 14th, 2021 20:51

Battery dead - knackered?

Like a clown, I used a 12v air pump to deflate a paddling pool at the weekend with the ignition off. Took about 8 or 9 minutes. I know - rookie error :bricks: .

Figured I would just need to give her a quick jump start and go for a blast around the local area. Tried jumping using the VW golf and could get a tiny trickle of power in which got the first stage of ignition on but not even close to enough juice to turn over. Tried for a while to charge but no improvement. Borrowed my cousin for his Camaro and no improvement either.

I'd hazard a guess that it's the original battery in the 2009 S80 2.4D by the looks of the markings. What's the thoughts? Knackered battery or something else I can try?

Thanks (from the idiot!)

cheshired5 Sep 14th, 2021 21:03

Assuming the donor car had a suitable battery, you used good quality leads and had a perfect connection, that really should be enough to turn over the engine.

I wouldn't write off a battery just because it's been flattened but it won't have done it any good.
You'd have to fully charge it then measure the voltage under different conditions to really know it's health and chances of reliability.
Video.

Tannaton Sep 14th, 2021 23:57

A paddling pool inflator shouldn't have flattened a car battery in 9 minutes, unless it was drawing circa 100 amps.... So it was probably toast to start with especially if it was 11 years old.

I'd try a 24 hour charge with a battery charger, or get a battery test at Kwik Fit or Halfords. If you have a multimeter - try as suggested in the video above...

Elninio1999 Sep 15th, 2021 07:04

Thanks guys.

Watched your vid si, I'll check out with the multimeter when I get home. Borrowing the old man's charger and I'll see how it all goes.

Thanks again.

moorgate Sep 15th, 2021 15:02

8 or 9 minutes is nothing, though a lot of cars are in a pretty poor state right now after lockdown. I've just been through the charger malarkey on my V50 T5: first off the 'smart' charger was too smart for the dumb (but real Volvo) battery. Then I thought I'd bought a lemon after shelling out 50 quid for a tiny little box from Halfords: but I hadn't. It was just that it took THREE DAYS for the dumber charger to fully and properly charge the damn battery. So I think you might find you need to match up the age of battery to the dumbness of the charger. Also, when they are this flat, don't charge the battery on the car: the various background drains are enough to consume the trickle of current from the charger. At the least, take the terminals right off and give it a nice long weekend to get recovered.

cheshired5 Sep 15th, 2021 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorgate (Post 2770715)
don't charge the battery on the car: the various background drains are enough to consume the trickle of current from the charger.

Correct standby current drain is <50mA and even a gentle charger will be around 1A so it should be fine charging whilst everything is still on the car.

Elninio1999 Sep 18th, 2021 19:25

Well, trickle charged with a mains charger and got going yesterday. Went for a half hour drive and all was ok. Tried to start again this morning and didn't even get the dash lighting up. Checked with the multimeter and was only at 5.8v across the terminals.

Picked up a new battery this afternoon and we are back in the game!