Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Squeaking, rattle, high pitched noise inside V40 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315984)

V40DriverWales Apr 11th, 2021 12:30

Squeaking, rattle, high pitched noise inside V40

Hello all,

New to this forum.

I have a high pitch, squeaky, rattle (hard to explain) noise inside the car when driving. It’s become progressively worse over the past couple of days and I cannot locate where it’s coming from. It sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side dash area but I’m not 100% on this. I don’t believe it can be heard from the outside. It only happens when driving and staying still and rocking the car doesn’t make the noise. The vibration when driving must be causing this squeaky rattling..

Has anyone had any experience of this or potentially know what it could be? I have a couple of videos which you can hear the noise but I don’t think I can add them in here.

Thanks

Clan Apr 11th, 2021 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40DriverWales (Post 2727788)
Hello all,

New to this forum.

I have a high pitch, squeaky, rattle (hard to explain) noise inside the car when driving. It’s become progressively worse over the past couple of days and I cannot locate where it’s coming from. It sounds like it’s coming from the drivers side dash area but I’m not 100% on this. I don’t believe it can be heard from the outside. It only happens when driving and staying still and rocking the car doesn’t make the noise. The vibration when driving must be causing this squeaky rattling..

Has anyone had any experience of this or potentially know what it could be? I have a couple of videos which you can hear the noise but I don’t think I can add them in here.

Thanks

Very difficult for anyone to help without being there really . Certainly not a common fault , probably a unique one ...

ovlov04v Apr 11th, 2021 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40DriverWales (Post 2727788)
Hello all,

New to this forum.

Thanks

Have you got anything hanging on your key whilst it is in the ignition? That was what causes our mystery noise on occasions. Now I just take the key out once the car has started and no noise.
The centre console where all the buttons are often develops a bit of a squeak. A little tug here and there and it disappears.
The frame around the dash console sometimes benefits from a tap/tweak.

If you can locate your noise then you can try a bit of lub between the contact surfaces. ( a Q tip with some silicon lubricant works wonders for plastic squeaks). At worst case, remove and put some foam packing to stop the rubbing.

V40DriverWales Apr 13th, 2021 18:54

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it’s a difficult one to diagnose without hearing it.

I have a 63 plate V40, so it’s not a key it’s a hole in the dash, with stop/start button. I’ve had a look around everywhere and I can’t find where it’s specifically coming from. As it only happens when driving, it makes it more difficult to locate the specific area.

I’ll have a look all around, prodding and poking everywhere on the drivers side to see but if all fails, a trip to the garage it’ll be.

Cheers folks

Kev0607 Apr 13th, 2021 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40DriverWales (Post 2728465)
Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it’s a difficult one to diagnose without hearing it.

I have a 63 plate V40, so it’s not a key it’s a hole in the dash, with stop/start button. I’ve had a look around everywhere and I can’t find where it’s specifically coming from. As it only happens when driving, it makes it more difficult to locate the specific area.

I’ll have a look all around, prodding and poking everywhere on the drivers side to see but if all fails, a trip to the garage it’ll be.

Cheers folks

Sounds like one of those noises where you need a passenger with you. Turn off the radio, heater etc & drive as you normally would. As soon as you hear the noise, ask the passenger if they can hear it too & ask them to try to figure out where its coming from.

You need empty/quiet roads to do this test, or even a big car park. I wouldn't recommend trying to find a noise doing 70mph down the motorway! :tounge_smile:

Simmy Apr 18th, 2021 17:47

dose it stop when heater fan is off?

Shiny Apr 6th, 2022 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40DriverWales (Post 2728465)

Cheers folks

I two have the same on the drivers side did you manage to find the problem?

26tim Jun 30th, 2022 11:31

Hi, I had a similar squeaking noise when driving. You should check your bonnet. Push on it or lightly hit it with your fist around and above the middle washer nozzle. Theres a latch right in the middle on the backside of the bonnet, which made the noise on my car. It sounded like it came from the interior while driving.