Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Remapping high mileage D5? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321139)

TimS996 Nov 1st, 2021 22:01

Remapping high mileage D5?

Have a 2007 C70 2.4 D5 Geartronic that I’ve had a few months and it’s been reasonably well serviced by previous owners. it’s just rolled over 100k. Very happy with it generally but wondering if a remap is possible to remove the 2-3 second lag it has when pulling away from junctions?

Obviously that’s without flooring the throttle. I’ve previously remapped VAG diesels with similar problems, but not on an engine with such high mileage.

Otherwise more than happy with the performance and planning on keeping the car so I’m happy to invest the money. I’d like to remove some of the hesitancy, not after more power necessarily. Any advice welcome.

JJD1 Nov 1st, 2021 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS996 (Post 2781925)
Have a 2007 C70 2.4 D5 Geartronic that I’ve had a few months and it’s been reasonably well serviced by previous owners. it’s just rolled over 100k. Very happy with it generally but wondering if a remap is possible to remove the 2-3 second lag it has when pulling away from junctions?

Obviously that’s without flooring the throttle. I’ve previously remapped VAG diesels with similar problems, but not on an engine with such high mileage.

Otherwise more than happy with the performance and planning on keeping the car so I’m happy to invest the money. I’d like to remove some of the hesitancy, not after more power necessarily. Any advice welcome.

I did the same with my last v70 d5 .Engine and Turbo fine . Stage ONE . made a lovely difference . It was done by a VW tuner who ive used a lot and he knows everyone in the business .So found a map and then tweaked it a bit on the rollers

Simmy Nov 1st, 2021 22:44

the lag is caused by the torque converter. remapping wont solve this problem the gearbox doesn't lock up till it gets to 3rd gear its designed to make take up smooth and seamless and the c70 is a heavy car which wont help either

Rich850R Nov 2nd, 2021 05:45

When I read high mileage I didn’t expect it to be 100k, that’s just ran in

My wife has a D5 SE LUX C70 Auto, has to be one of the worst cars for fuel ever, that said it’s mostly town work she does. The XC90 is better on fuel! Even compared to a 350bhp 850R it’s not much better

I detest the thing I really do, bang average build quality and the seats are terrible.

Sotosound Nov 2nd, 2021 09:40

Beware of remapping a C70 D5.

I've heard that they are slightly detuned already, with reduced torque compared to, say, an equivalent V70 (258 lbs/ft versus 295 lbs/ft).

With this in mind, a remapping might over-stress the drivetrain.

JJD1 Nov 2nd, 2021 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotosound (Post 2781994)
Beware of remapping a C70 D5.

I've heard that they are slightly detuned already, with reduced torque compared to, say, an equivalent V70 (258 lbs/ft versus 295 lbs/ft).

With this in mind, a remapping might over-stress the drivetrain.

Agree ... dont go more than 25bhp . The V70 D5 I had went to 220 BHP and it never caused any clutch issues etc .Just drove "nicer"

TimS996 Nov 2nd, 2021 11:50

Thanks I'm not sure with the remap that I'd get the pick-up I'm looking for with the torque converter system.
TBH 100k for a Volvo engine seems run -in but most VAG diesels are scrap by then in my experience.

JJD1 Nov 2nd, 2021 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS996 (Post 2782027)
Thanks I'm not sure with the remap that I'd get the pick-up I'm looking for with the torque converter system.
TBH 100k for a Volvo engine seems run -in but most VAG diesels are scrap by then in my experience.

NO way ! I had a TDI golf 10 years ago re mapped by "Rtech" and the car was perfect . It sold in 2 hours with 150k on the clock .The guy and his friend came straight over the moment it was listed . They loved the car and said it drove better than any of their friends .Thats down to making sure the car is well looked after .I did filters and oils every 6k

Clan Nov 2nd, 2021 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS996 (Post 2781925)

Engine age will not make any difference on a volvo engine unless it has been neglected .. 100,000 + miles bore and crankshaft , valves etc measurements will still be in tolerance as new .

eagle58 Nov 2nd, 2021 16:25

I did my 2008 C70 D5 Geartronic and I do think it's worth it as it pulls like a train.

Nevertheless, the pick up from a standing start is poor and the remap hasn't helped that at all.

I love the car but that is the one thing I would fix if I could.