Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Volvo XC70 2006 transmission issue (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325655)

amazighman May 26th, 2022 23:15

Volvo XC70 2006 transmission issue

Hi

I bought a volvo XC70 2006 model 200k miles with automatic transmission.

On short test drive it performed faultless.

However when i drove it back home and it warmed up it started shifting harsh 3rd gear mainly and 2nd slightly.

The transmission oil has never been changed , would that be the issue , is it worth doing a few sump dumps , I have some Toyota Type4 fluid which i think is 3309 compatible

Thanks

mjk164 May 27th, 2022 05:48

I would change the oil. My 2009 V70 with Geartronic TF - 80SC has done about 186k miles and when I did the gear box oil about 1500 miles ago, using 3 dumps replacing exactly what I drained out (about 3 ltrs each time and quite dark), and Volvo recommended JWS3309 fluid, the gear change was like new and better smoothness throughout the rev range.

Familyman 90 May 27th, 2022 06:27

Oil change and a software update are the usual places to start.

amazighman May 27th, 2022 07:12

Thanks for your inputs.

The strange thing is that its fine when cold ,as soon as you do around 10 miles or so when the car is warm , then the hard shift in 2nd and 3rd , and noticeable less seamless when shifting PNRD

Could be old oil is less viscous and loses its properties when warm...
I will try few sump dumps , oil is cheap anyway .

How much would software update cost at the stealers or Independent garages?

Bonefishblues May 27th, 2022 08:38

Symptoms start when things get towards hotter - longer test drives than the 5 min around the block are always recommended for this 'box for that reason

amazighman May 27th, 2022 09:04

I am hoping a fluid change might improve things , or should i not bother and just get rid.
Shame as the car is otherwise good .

Bonefishblues May 27th, 2022 09:09

Definitely try a change

stuart bowes May 27th, 2022 09:41

like you said, fluid is cheap. the job is easy enough to do. make the most of the car being up in the air and do an oil change as well if there hasn't been one done recently or if it's unknown? two birds one stone

amazighman May 27th, 2022 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2826260)
like you said, fluid is cheap. the job is easy enough to do. make the most of the car being up in the air and do an oil change as well if there hasn't been one done recently or if it's unknown? two birds one stone

I ordered 10 Litres of JWS3309 fluid , And will do one sump dump each week or two and see.

I am sorry if I sound silly , but where are the jacking points (trolley jack suitable) on these cars? And where to put axle stands

Does anyone know how much a software update cost at dealers

stuart bowes May 27th, 2022 11:41

not silly at all, it's not immediately obvious and I've seen it asked a number of times

I jack up on the subframe bolt plates (under the bulkhead) and I put axle stands under the subframe rails

I've heard others say they jack up the whole front end using the front end of the subframe below the radiator but I was scared off doing that by once hearing someone say it slipped and they punched through the rad with the jack.. for 5 minutes more of your time it doesn't seem worth the risk to me

ramps are probably easier and safer if you have them because the wheels aren't coming off and you'll get a decent height

obviously also chock your back wheels (sucking eggs lesson no doubt)

software I'm guessing probably not much more than £20 or so but it's the labour cost where they'll get you, probably around £100-120 all in? unless someone else comes along and corrects me on that. ring dealer and ask I guess