Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 (2005 on) D5 Limp woes! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326389)

Oak Jul 6th, 2022 14:07

D5 Limp woes!

Afternoon everyone - I wonder if anyone might be able to offer any advice?

I have a 2008 MY (57 UK Reg) P3 D5 185 E4 Auto V70.

Last month it cut out on the way back from France. Recovery got it going again but it was in limp mode and has been ever since.

There's one recurring error in VIDA - ECM-P019300 - Fuel Pressure Rail Sensor High.

What I have discovered and tried so far...

New Fuel Rail Pressure sensor (Genuine Bosch) - no change.
Found a small fray on the cable supplying sensor and repaired - no change
Replaced the fuel pressure valve (second hand part but assured working) - made an awful racket - swapped back.
New connection plug on fuel pressure sensor - no change.
Measured voltages with sensor connected and disconnected - all three pins appear to be 4.93V - Even on the pin that "should" be ground?!

If I disconnect the sensor completely I get the same result - the engine is STILL in limp mode and same error (P019300) in VIDA.

I've beared back the loom/conduit and can't see any other wiring issues but haven't peeled the whole thing back.

Has anyone got any ideas what to try next? I've now been off the road for over a month and being an old car I'm anxious not to throw parts/money at it without a definitive plan.

Engine sounds fine, and rev's easily, but I'll not exceed 30mph up hill if I'm lucky. Load off downhill I can get up to 60 ish but as soon as any slight incline - screwed again!

Any advice and thoughts I'd appreciate

brutusmotorsport Jul 6th, 2022 15:55

fuel

very possibly a bad ground to the fuel pressure sensor.

Oak Jul 6th, 2022 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutusmotorsport (Post 2832744)
very possibly a bad ground to the fuel pressure sensor.

Thank you so much for replying. I have tried giving it an earth directly from the battery, but I will try this again and double check which pin I used.

Thanks again

Simmy Jul 6th, 2022 18:44

do you have any other codes showing have you deleted the fault codes dose the fault code re ocour before the engine is started? when ignition in pos2 or only when engine is started?

Oak Jul 6th, 2022 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2832777)
do you have any other codes showing have you deleted the fault codes dose the fault code re ocour before the engine is started? when ignition in pos2 or only when engine is started?

Thanks Simmy. Good question! I think the error appears on igtII before the engine starts and with engine running, but I’ll double check.

Yes, it’s the only DTC showing really. Others are AQS (air quality sensor) which I believe it’s unusual if that isn’t showing! And then some complaints about windows not working (they all do)

Thanks again for replying!

Simmy Jul 6th, 2022 19:36

door faults are usualy faulty heater elements on door mirrors report back with your findings