Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Front crossmember/axle and wishbones (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307775)

Burdekin Jul 10th, 2020 22:29

Front crossmember/axle and wishbones

Hi, anyone got a reasonable front crossmember/axle and wishbones (both but mainly looking for bottom ones).

Triple-S Jul 11th, 2020 08:52

I have a rusty 144 one at my place (164 part numbers different so you need to specify). Snag - its on the south coast, couldn't be much further from you! Am going there today so can maybe photograph if still interested

P

Burdekin Jul 11th, 2020 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple-S (Post 2646469)
I have a rusty 144 one at my place (164 part numbers different so you need to specify). Snag - its on the south coast, couldn't be much further from you! Am going there today so can maybe photograph if still interested

P

Thanks Paul, couple of pics would be great. They seem to be prone to rusting out from inside.

mocambique-amazone Jul 11th, 2020 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple-S (Post 2646469)

P

I'm still interested into a rhd dash of a 140/164 till 1972 Paul.

Have a nice weekend, stay healthy.
Cheers, Kay

Burdekin Oct 30th, 2020 17:04

Just bumping this thread if anyone out there with front crosssmember and wishbones? Would be good to replace mine in the winter.

foggyjames Nov 15th, 2020 00:05

I'm a bit rusty on these, but I think the upper wishbones are available new (with new balljoints), so that's how I'd tackle that. I think lowers aren't.

Sadly no parts to sell, but I thought the info would be useful.

cheers

James

classicswede Nov 15th, 2020 11:22

The crossmembers are a big rust issue and hard to find a good one.

Lower wishbones are also a problem and are now discontinued

There was a company in London who used to make heavy duty alloy ones for endurance rally but can not remember who they were. I got to know they as they were installing LPG.

Burdekin Nov 15th, 2020 13:15

Source a decent crossmember.

Amazon cars are getting lower wishbones made but will be £240 each. I will make ones or repair mine if I have to.

Burdekin Nov 15th, 2020 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyjames (Post 2681733)
I'm a bit rusty on these, but I think the upper wishbones are available new (with new balljoints), so that's how I'd tackle that. I think lowers aren't.

Sadly no parts to sell, but I thought the info would be useful.

cheers

James

Thanks. Yeah will probably buy a new upper set and install them with the new crossmember over winter.

foggyjames Nov 15th, 2020 13:22

Just check that the ones you get have the ball-joints tack-welded into them. My friend bought some new ones 2-3 years ago, and a ball-joint popped out after 6 months or so. The replacement had the ball-joint secured with a tack.

cheers

James