Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   164 Leaded/Unleaded Fuel (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=389)

dannyj_uk Sep 8th, 2003 11:02

164 Leaded/Unleaded Fuel

I am soon (fingers crossed!) going to be become a classic Volvo owner as I've found a lovely 164 I just cannot resist.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding out information regarding fuel for this vehicle. It would obviously have been built for 4 star but what it my best option in today's world of the green stuff?

My guess was higher octane fuel - e.g. Super or Optimax plus a lead replacement additive would be the best way to go.

Can anyone confirm this or point me in a better direction? What about the Broquet fuel catalyst?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Dan J

Peter Milnes Sep 9th, 2003 00:15

RE: 164 Leaded/Unleaded Fuel

If you e-mail Jack Cluer he can tell you all you want to know about the Broquet unit. He has had one on his 145 for many years. His contact details are in "Driver".

All the best, Peter

cbyard Sep 11th, 2003 13:36

Super unleaded with lead replacement additive or ordinary with octane booster lead replacement is normal perceived wisdom. Long term solution is modified cylinder head but if car only sees light use you may well never need this. In any case, even if you wreck the head with unleaded, fixing it is only the same job as modifying it in the first place!

There was an interesting report on fuel catalysts in Practical Classics a year or so back which effectively rubbished them as having any effect on valve seat recession on a new "leaded only" cylinder head, but did show that at least some of the additives were effective.

Best wishes

Chris

Clifford Pope Sep 12th, 2003 16:00

I'd recommend Millers VSP additive. It is based on Manganese, which came out much better in tests than the Potassium used in LRP, and also has an octane booster.
I have a Triumph 2000 (as well as a Volvo), and I have used Millers in the original engine since leaded disappeared. It gives excellent pinking resistance and the performance is as good as with the old leaded 4 star.
The valves seem to be holding up - done about 20,000 on it.
Unleaded + Additive works out cheaper than LRP, which in my opinion is rubbish anyway. (It perished new carburettor diaphrams in a matter of weeks)
It is the best 'do nothing' option until such time as you need a head overhaul anyway.

AndrewBrown May 1st, 2023 15:35

Don't bother with the drop in tank catalyst things,

they are complete crap and do not work the AA tested them a few years back
and concluded that they were useless

they are meant to be tin or something that changes the fuel but we told they last the life of the car.

How does it change the fuel if it does not break down into the fuel?

answer is it doesn't they are a scam plain and simple don't waste your money.

cassell May 2nd, 2023 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewBrown (Post 2893406)
Don't bother with the drop in tank catalyst things,

they are complete crap and do not work the AA tested them a few years back
and concluded that they were useless

they are meant to be tin or something that changes the fuel but we told they last the life of the car.

How does it change the fuel if it does not break down into the fuel?

answer is it doesn't they are a scam plain and simple don't waste your money.

Andrew, good advice but did you not notice that this thread is 20 years old and I doubt the originator is still puzzling over fuel for his intended 164 purchase!

classicswede May 6th, 2023 10:23

20 year old thread!

The engines hold up well on pump unleaded and rare to see any valve or seat issues.

For engines that do not hold up additives have been tested and only a handful worked. https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels