Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) General : Anti skid service required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=119416)

Luigi Mar 15th, 2011 16:43

Anti skid service required

S40 D5 56 plate 42k and out of warranty
The dreaded anti skid service warning come on the other day, the car was due to go to the garage( HR Owen ) for regular service so asked them to look at it. They then informed me after running a diagnostic check that it was a faulty
ABS module but they were happy to inform me that Volvo UK will be picking up the tab for this as it is a known issue and my model is covered up till 2013...The bill for this would have been in excess £1200 for diagnostic,ABS bits and labour... So if any of you also have this warning come up on a model about the same age as mine get check out at a Volvo garage with luck you will be covered.

busy builder Mar 20th, 2011 11:03

Is this really true ? nothing I've read states this ? as ours came on yesterday too, so off to get the bad news.

*Big Al* Mar 20th, 2011 14:28

Its true had mne replaced last year on an 06 that has not seen a Volvo dealer for 2 years previously !

busy builder Mar 20th, 2011 16:11

Hi Big Al, we used to live in Cedar Grove till we moved up here nearly 7 years ago, how is Redcar these days ?

As for the V50, sounds too good to be true !! but good news if it is.

Luigi Mar 20th, 2011 19:47

Lets hope its good news for you as it was for me...

campbellc78 Mar 21st, 2011 20:25

It's definitely true that Volvo will cover this.

Happened to me last year. I'd had my 2005 v50 for about 9 months and the anti-skid service message flagged up. It was still covered by the warranty from the second hand dealer. They were going to cover it and referred me to a Volvo dealership in Belfast to get the work done

The dealership then informed me that Volvo would be covering it, as it was a known issue on these models.

Good thing too - the warranty from the second hand dealership only covered up to £1000, and I was told it would be up to £2k of work if I was paying for it myself. The chip is about £1800 apparently!!

How complex can these chips be when you can buy a top of the range computer for that price???!

martinhilditch Mar 22nd, 2011 10:41

yep, happened to me also on a 06 s40, all i had to pay was the diagnostic test

busy builder Mar 25th, 2011 19:37

Well, we took car into Arnold Clarks in Inverness. They checked it out, washed it cleaned it inside and out...and it was mucky !!

No problem bring it in Wednesday 3 hours it'll be fixed....FREE yippee !!

Now that's what I call service.

camevad Apr 2nd, 2011 14:18

Volvo know!

I had the Anti-Skid Service light come on 4 monthsago and diagnostic check was done as part of regular service. Fault code said ABS module needed replacing. Car was just out of warranty so had to fork out 1000 euro (ireland) to have it replaced at a main dealer.

Since then I've joind this forum and a lot of people reckoned Volvo should cover the cost. Got on to Volvo and questioned this and they put their hands up and have informed me (I have the email if anyone wants proof) that the main dealer will be reimbursing me for the full cost next week.

That's what these forums are all about folks so all I can say is a HUGE thank you.

busy builder Apr 3rd, 2011 17:23

Good for you, I sometimes think all we get on here is moaning and whinging about how bad these cars are, not true.

But some good comes from sites like this, if I hadn't seen this original post I would have been seriously worried, but I asked the question at my local Volvo dealer and got it done for free too.

All down to this site.