Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   timing belt failure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319978)

volvulus Sep 16th, 2021 09:47

timing belt failure

Hi, my 1991 940 2 litre died yesterday at a busy junction, there was no noise or drama that I could hear above the traffic noise but, after investigation the timing belt has snapped.

The burning question is..... is this engine, (I believe a B200f but could be wrong
a NON interference engine?

There are numerous threads I've seen on the web and, some say a red block engine is a safe, i.e. non interference engine and others saying their b200f had damage.

Is it a case of strip it and look or is there a definitive answer to interference or NON interference?

Many thanks Ken

volvulus Sep 16th, 2021 09:58

I should have said it's a non turbo engine.

I also should mention... I drove in reverse gear on the battery to get it onto the verge.

Ken

Laird Scooby Sep 16th, 2021 10:07

The B200F engine is, i believe, a borderline engine. Many say it's a non-interference engine but there have been others that have had valve to piston contact. However, in the majority of cases, those people also knew the head had previously been off and skimmed so reducing that vital valve to piston clearance.

Given that you were stopped at the time and hopefully only turned over on the starter, there's a fair chance you have got away with it - only way of being sure is to fit a new timing belt.

Are you sure it's a B200F? Is it mechanical or electronic injection and does it have a Lambda sensor and cat or not? A photo would help if you're not sure. If it's a B200E with K-Jetronic (mechanical) injection, there's a much higher chance of there being no damage.

volvulus Sep 16th, 2021 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2770901)
The B200F engine is, i believe, a borderline engine. Many say it's a non-interference engine but there have been others that have had valve to piston contact. However, in the majority of cases, those people also knew the head had previously been off and skimmed so reducing that vital valve to piston clearance.

Given that you were stopped at the time and hopefully only turned over on the starter, there's a fair chance you have got away with it - only way of being sure is to fit a new timing belt.

Are you sure it's a B200F? Is it mechanical or electronic injection and does it have a Lambda sensor and cat or not? A photo would help if you're not sure. If it's a B200E with K-Jetronic (mechanical) injection, there's a much higher chance of there being no damage.

Thank you....it has a cat for sure.

ken

Laird Scooby Sep 16th, 2021 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvulus (Post 2770915)

ken

Probably is a B200F although the last of the B200E models were offered with a cat and Lambda as well but either way, we're back to a "suck it and see" of fit a new timing belt and hope.

volvulus Sep 16th, 2021 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvulus (Post 2770915)

ken

I was going about 35mph when I lost power, first thing I noticed was the oil light came up.

I tried jump starting it in gear then on the starter before I headed for the grass verge.

I want to avoid fitting a new belt to see if its damaged the engine. sort of throwing good money after bad, as much as I like my "tank", if it's a question of remedial work on the engine, i.e. valves, push rods, even a damaged piston then I would have to get rid.

kind regards ken

griston64 Sep 16th, 2021 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvulus (Post 2770920)
I was going about 35mph when I lost power, first thing I noticed was the oil light came up.

I tried jump starting it in gear then on the starter before I headed for the grass verge.

I want to avoid fitting a new belt to see if its damaged the engine. sort of throwing good money after bad, as much as I like my "tank", if it's a question of remedial work on the engine, i.e. valves, push rods, even a damaged piston then I would have to get rid.

kind regards ken

The belts are pretty cheap tbh

bob12 Sep 16th, 2021 11:19

The B200F cat (LH2.4) is a non-interference engine as long as it is the original unmolested engine i.e., no head skimming etc. When you replace the belt also do the belt tensioner as well (come as a kit) and also water pump if suspect although you may want to leave it alone if it looks good as they can be the a bugger to seal properly if no experience.

Bob :)

Familyman 90 Sep 16th, 2021 11:45

If the old beltmos now oit the way its a half hour job to slap in a new one, so for a few quid and half an hour of your time you'll know if you got away with it or not.

volvulus Sep 16th, 2021 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2770917)
Probably is a B200F although the last of the B200E models were offered with a cat and Lambda as well but either way, we're back to a "suck it and see" of fit a new timing belt and hope.

Thanks to all. I will get a belt and keep my fingers crossed.

I'll do a compression test after fitting.

many thanks to all Ken.