Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Underseal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313554)

morwenna240 Jan 22nd, 2021 23:42

Underseal

Has anyone used Lanoguard underseal products? A farmer mate sometimes lets his sheep into the home paddock, where most of the implements are. The sheep scratch their backs on ones they can get under, an these bits never go rusty. . .

Burdekin Jan 23rd, 2021 09:10

Have seen them on Facebook but don’t know anyone who uses it. I use Dinitrol products, excellent. I also use a rust converter on anything bare or inside door, chassis etc. Rust converter was once used at our gas terminal on rusty pipes and structures just to slow the rust, years later these are still the same condition.

These folks have a good process to copy or they charge about £700 for a full service: https://preserveprotect.co.uk/

Bob Meadows Jan 23rd, 2021 13:07

Avoid underseal unless the metal is 100% spot on- any rust can just fester:~

Far better products are now available as being mentioned- Bilt Hamber also do a descent range- Dinatrol is good- Wax treatments diluted with clean engine oil for spraying is another.
Good luck
Bob.

morwenna240 Jan 23rd, 2021 18:36

Thanks, u 2. My 145 is coming up to "underneath" stage, an so many say use this, use that. Am narrowing down, now. If i can learn how to post pics, i will. Haven't tried yet. It's easy? Right, ok, will have go.

Burdekin Jan 23rd, 2021 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by morwenna240 (Post 2701932)
Thanks, u 2. My 145 is coming up to "underneath" stage, an so many say use this, use that. Am narrowing down, now. If i can learn how to post pics, i will. Haven't tried yet. It's easy? Right, ok, will have go.

What kind of restoration are you doing. Full strip down or more like a rolling resto? If a full strip down then there are much better coatings to go onto bare steel.

My 142 was a rolling resto at this stage, I followed the process that I linked you to above except for the rear araches. I stripped them back of underseal and surface rust, rust converter on steel, Jotamastic 87 on all, gravitex and then it also got a coat of Dinitrol when doing all of the underneath.

morwenna240 Jan 24th, 2021 11:44

What i'm doing is, whole interior out, except dash an controls, for welding back end, bits at front. Then back to mine, up on blocks, all running gear off, engine /box out. Then clean, remaining underseal off to good original or bare metal as seems required. Then rust converter, then what paint?, then dinitrol? Sound good? Then back together, to paint shop, total respray. Not going concours, just no rust an pretty paint. It'll be everyday pleasure/workhorse.

Burdekin Jan 24th, 2021 12:19

Jotun’s Jotamastic 87 for the paint. I would use gravitex or Raptor (2k and contains isocyanates) rather that Dinitrol if going to that length. It can then be sprayed with a 2k topcoat if you like. However if you want to use Dinitrol go for 4941 over the Jotamastic.

Also you could use Deox gel to remove all the rust and then just apply Jotamastic 87 over the entire undercarriage. Get the surface as rough and clean as you can and Jotamastic will stick like you know what to a blanket. It can be over coated with anything.

There is a company here that soda blasts cars, that would be a good option if totally stripped. Get them to blast it and paint it. Job is then all done in super quick time.

Burdekin Jan 24th, 2021 12:23

3 Attachment(s)
Pics from my Amazon; Jotamastic, gravitex and then 2k Polyurethane topcoat.

Burdekin Jan 24th, 2021 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by morwenna240 (Post 2702191)
What i'm doing is, whole interior out, except dash an controls, for welding back end, bits at front. Then back to mine, up on blocks, all running gear off, engine /box out. Then clean, remaining underseal off to good original or bare metal as seems required. Then rust converter, then what paint?, then dinitrol? Sound good? Then back together, to paint shop, total respray. Not going concours, just no rust an pretty paint. It'll be everyday pleasure/workhorse.

A spit or a car roller will make life so much easier. You can but spits pretty cheaply if taking everything off. A roller like mine is good is good when the car is more complete.

morwenna240 Jan 24th, 2021 14:23

Well, u've certainly got rid of all the rust on that one! Ok, i'll get it stripped underneath, an see what looks best, from your options. Is that the gold car?
Thanks so much for the info, between you, Ben an Simon, i shall have a decent car. NEXT !