Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Power Steering rack volvo s60 D5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324491)

BathFS60 Mar 29th, 2022 00:15

Power Steering rack volvo s60 D5

Hi all

I have a 2005 volvo S60 D5 and I'm trying to find out what steering rack was used in these as there are at least 5 different variants used. Is there any way of finding this out before removing old one? Volvo just want to sell me one of there's at over £1000! But won't say what part number or variant it is. Many thanks.

okasey Apr 3rd, 2022 21:40

Volvo steering rack

Hi , I have a 2003 V70 D5 with mileage of 235,00 , and not surprisingly my local general garage has gone through all the possible options of random stiff steering that I've been having over the last few months , to a faulty steering rack . Apparently there are 7 variations , according to my local Volvo Main Dealer garage , and they've told me that the one I need has been discontinued.!
They did however give me the part no. of the steering rack , based on my Volvo Reg. No., so that I could try and locate one . The cost , when available , was about £1100.
So perhaps you could try ringing a few Volvo Main Dealers to ask them for your actual Steering Rack part no., and then try and locate one.
On searching through E-Bay I did find a supplier , who would recondition your own steering rack -- so there'd be no problem locating a correct one !
Looking at YouTube , it seems fairly horrendous to replace -- and essential to have the use of a car lift, as on the V70 the engine has to be supported and the subframe loosened and partially lowered.

Hope this helps ! ?

Regards , Gerry

ALBERT10 May 24th, 2022 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by okasey (Post 2817104)
Hi , I have a 2003 V70 D5 with mileage of 235,00 , and not surprisingly my local general garage has gone through all the possible options of random stiff steering that I've been having over the last few months , to a faulty steering rack . Apparently there are 7 variations , according to my local Volvo Main Dealer garage , and they've told me that the one I need has been discontinued.!
They did however give me the part no. of the steering rack , based on my Volvo Reg. No., so that I could try and locate one . The cost , when available , was about £1100.
So perhaps you could try ringing a few Volvo Main Dealers to ask them for your actual Steering Rack part no., and then try and locate one.
On searching through E-Bay I did find a supplier , who would recondition your own steering rack -- so there'd be no problem locating a correct one !
Looking at YouTube , it seems fairly horrendous to replace -- and essential to have the use of a car lift, as on the V70 the engine has to be supported and the subframe loosened and partially lowered.

Hope this helps ! ?

Regards , Gerry

What’s the Labour time and price likely to be on top of the expensive part? Presumably this 1100 figure is just for the part?

Bonefishblues May 24th, 2022 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathFS60 (Post 2816057)
Hi all

I have a 2005 volvo S60 D5 and I'm trying to find out what steering rack was used in these as there are at least 5 different variants used. Is there any way of finding this out before removing old one? Volvo just want to sell me one of there's at over £1000! But won't say what part number or variant it is. Many thanks.

Remove the old one. Send it off for refurb. with a 24-hour turn-round Save many many hundreds. The end.

ALBERT10 May 25th, 2022 05:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2825859)
Remove the old one. Send it off for refurb. with a 24-hour turn-round Save many many hundreds. The end.

Would that mean the car would be occupying a ramp at a garage while it was sent away, or is there a way around that? A garage wouldn’t be keen on having a ramp blocked while waiting for the return.

Bonefishblues May 25th, 2022 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBERT10 (Post 2825884)
Would that mean the car would be occupying a ramp at a garage while it was sent away, or is there a way around that? A garage wouldn’t be keen on having a ramp blocked while waiting for the return.

Yes it would. Mine turned out to be occupying a ramp for 4 or 5 days whilst we tried 3 racks. I know what we (garage cocked it too!) should have done!

ALBERT10 May 25th, 2022 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathFS60 (Post 2816057)
Hi all

What was wrong with the rack? Was it a mot fail on it that prompted replacement? What mileage did this happen?

ALBERT10 May 25th, 2022 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2825894)
Yes it would. Mine turned out to be occupying a ramp for 4 or 5 days whilst we tried 3 racks. I know what we (garage cocked it too!) should have done!

So did the garage charge more for the extra time taken? I can imagine many garages not wanting to take on the job to send it off as wouldn’t want ramp taken up for so long.

I read somewhere some garage charging customers per hour for blocking ramp when they have supplied own parts which ended up being the wrong ones.

Bonefishblues May 25th, 2022 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBERT10 (Post 2825946)
So did the garage charge more for the extra time taken? I can imagine many garages not wanting to take on the job to send it off as wouldn’t want ramp taken up for so long.

I read somewhere some garage charging customers per hour for blocking ramp when they have supplied own parts which ended up being the wrong ones.

No.

Mine didn't fit (it had been misdescribed).

I said sorry but reason.

They said they would order.

Theirs was wrong.

They re-ordered, now understanding that S60 2005 racks weren't so simple...

So check with your garage, I suggest.

ALBERT10 May 25th, 2022 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2825967)
No.

Mine didn't fit (it had been misdescribed).

I said sorry but reason.

They said they would order.

Theirs was wrong.

They re-ordered, now understanding that S60 2005 racks weren't so simple...

So check with your garage, I suggest.

What was wrong with your steering rack and what mileage did this occur?