Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Start Prevented. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=334325)

Pauljude Jul 31st, 2023 18:41

Start Prevented.

Hi folks, sorry to create another start prevented thread, but they're slightly different to my problem.

My very recently acquired 2011 xc90 has 2 keys. I have only used the one key until today when I went to use the other one, which does everything apart from start the car, it gives the start prevented error message. The key I have been using starts every time without fail, does this rule out the ring antennae? And are there any reset or coding procedures or do you think the key has had its day?

Car is within warranty so I'll be asking for a replacement key if it's a goner.

Thanks in advance.

john langrick Aug 1st, 2023 09:36

Hi, try using the key that doesn't work, but hang the key that does over the ignition key housing.

If this works then the failing key needs recoding to the ring aerial.

It could be that that key was replaced in the past, but never coded.

The key has a passive sensor in it that does need coding with the ring aerial and if one works, you have to believe the actual ring aerial is ok.

Hope this helps.

Pauljude Aug 1st, 2023 13:05

Thanks for your reply, I didn't even think to try that. I have done it but car still failed to start, I would say your probably right in that the ring antennae is ok but the transponder part of the key needs replacing / reprogramming.

Andymharrison Aug 1st, 2023 14:21

Are both keys original?

I've seen cars where one key has been broken so someone has just moved the key blade and button board into one of the cheap ebay cases. Works fine for lock/unlocking but won't start the car unless the little glass transponder is moved as well.

Pauljude Aug 1st, 2023 21:17

Both cases and gubbins are definitely Volvo but I have no way of knowing if they are original to the car.

john langrick Aug 2nd, 2023 07:32

You would know it the key had been repaired as you have to split the two halves on the part with the key button and blade. You may have noticed that the part with the buttons can easily be removed.

Many cars have a service key, i.e a key that will allow opening the car, but.will not allow starting. Could it be that one of your keys is a service key?

I once had this on my old v70 where I lost a key so purchased a new one ( not inexpensive), and have it programmed. I later found my old key but it no longer worked as it appears the ring aerial would now not a crept it. Could something like this have happened?

Best way I guess is to try and get it programmed by your local Volvo garage. If they cannot program then a new key may be the only option.

John l

Moose Test Aug 2nd, 2023 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by john langrick (Post 2907990)
get it programmed by your local Volvo garage. If they cannot program then a new key may be the only option.

I'm 90% sure that you won't be doing that. IIRC, new keys are supplied with a code on the packaging that is required for the programming process. The dealer is supposed to destroy that after programming. Without it, the key (and the vehicle's acceptance of it) can't be reprogrammed.