Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Best dash cam position? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316141)

ThomasC91 Apr 17th, 2021 21:05

Best dash cam position?

Finally managed to install m6 dash cam in my S90.

Only want it on when driving so used HUD fuse using piggy bag.

Where should I place it? The bonnet is so big that it doesn’t cover all of it.

I have a nextbase one tha5 has the rear camera attached in the side so I’m somewhat further limited as it has to be in a position to see through rear window too.

Can I actually secure it to the intellisafe surround so it would b3 just below my mirror? I have adhesive

js90 Apr 18th, 2021 03:18

Three things to keep in mind:

Volvo recommend keeping cameras at least 15cm away from the Intellisafe housing.

Make sure the forward camera is within the swept area of the windscreen - if not, your camera won't see anything in the rain.

For an MOT pass, you need to have the camera no more than 4cm within the swept area of the windscreen.

So, if you want to see out the back as well, it'll need to be at the top of the windscreen. Just keep the above measurements in mind and you should find a position that works.

Baxlin Apr 18th, 2021 04:49

Not sure of the legal position (!) but I always make sure the screen - if it has one - isn’t visible to the driver, so to the left of the interior mirror for RHD.

crashbarrier Apr 18th, 2021 09:48

The legal position is that the driver mustn't be able to see the screen on the back which displays a moving picture. This is why most manufacturers have a screensaver setting which they switch to after a minute or so. The problem I found was that with my Nextbase I would press a button to bring the picture back and it hadn't been recording. Whether I was catching the 'stop recording' button, I don't know. Now, I leave the screen on but, like Baxlin, the camera is top of the windscreen, left of the Intellisafe housing and obscured by the rear-view mirror.

amadan Apr 18th, 2021 19:56

My dealer fitted mine when doing the delivery work and also put it on the left side of the intellisafe cluster.

The main issue putting it there though is taking “recordings” (ie pressing the save record button) when it’s out of easy reach. Some dashcams like VIOFO have a wireless record button.

I have a button stuck on the steering column for my VIOFO camera so if I need to safe anything there’s no faffing about.

ThomasC91 Apr 20th, 2021 12:12

Thanks all, I placed it left of intellisafe... it is half disguised by mirror. I can only see the top of it, any lower and it would have been too far for me even though the mirror would hav3 covered it completely. It is 80% hidden by the mirror which is good enough for me and not distracting

crashbarrier Apr 20th, 2021 16:24

ThomasC91,

That sounds good enough to me. It's crazy that you can have a fancy animated sat-nav screen that is constantly moving but can't have a teeny-weeny dashcam screen. Mind you, it does fall in the same category as a screen showing a movie, etc.

I was going to strongly recommend Stealthmounts on eBay but it looks like he has stopped making dashcam mounts. Basically, he used to produce a small mount that replaced the huge Nextbase one that hangs down several inches. I've got them fitted front and back in each of my cars and they stick to the glass with 3M tape which is easily removed if you need to. It might be worth contacting them to see if he has any old stock or can do one-offs as they are 3D printed.

Trebor17 Sep 21st, 2021 15:49

Can you please recommend suitable dashcams which do not interfere with the Volvo safety systems?

Thanks

I have a 2020 (70 plate) S60

Shepherdspie Sep 21st, 2021 20:24

I have a nextbase 522 in both my Volvos in the same position. Left-hand side of the intellisafe cluster and have no problems whatsoever with interference.

bluebarchetta Sep 21st, 2021 20:44

I went for an INNOVV one - mounted on the grill...