Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Petrol pours out the filler mechanism when full! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=334608)

Yelper85 Aug 15th, 2023 09:44

Petrol pours out the filler mechanism when full!

As per the title really. Put the nozzle in all the way, fill up, and when the tank is full the nozzle does cut off but not before a large amount of petrol has leaked out all in the housing, down the car, on the floor, and over myself.

The first time it did this I thought maybe it was a slow reacting pump nozzle, but this is the third time now so clearly there is an issue.

Has anybody else had this or still got the issue? The car is still under warranty so I'm not too concerned, it's just annoying as well as a safety issue given the petrol goes everywhere due to the pressure.

Any help would be much appreciated 👍🏻

OldEngineer Aug 15th, 2023 10:15

The pump controls the cut off. If it is submerged in fuel it should cut off. I'm presuming you have the nozzle fully inserted so that it can sense the fuel level?

Can't think of anything in the car that could cause it to fail. So speak to the fuel seller.

Yelper85 Aug 15th, 2023 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldEngineer (Post 2909829)
The pump controls the cut off. If it is submerged in fuel it should cut off. I'm presuming you have the nozzle fully inserted so that it can sense the fuel level?

Can't think of anything in the car that could cause it to fail. So speak to the fuel seller.

Yeah it's fully inserted, first time I assumed I'd not done so but for once I'm not at fault :regular_smile:

It's done it three times all at different stations, all hundreds of miles apart, so it can't be the pump.

Philip Fisher Aug 15th, 2023 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yelper85 (Post 2909839)
Yeah it's fully inserted, first time I assumed I'd not done so but for once I'm not at fault :regular_smile:

It's done it three times all at different stations, all hundreds of miles apart, so it can't be the pump.

I had a problem with the breather, but that just caused the pump to constantly click off when filling. The garage cleaned it out.

Yelper85 Aug 15th, 2023 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2909840)
I had a problem with the breather, but that just caused the pump to constantly click off when filling. The garage cleaned it out.

Time for a trip to the dealer I think 🙄

Dolphin10 Aug 15th, 2023 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yelper85 (Post 2909821)
As per the title really. Put the nozzle in all the way, fill up, and when the tank is full the nozzle does cut off but not before a large amount of petrol has leaked out all in the housing, down the car, on the floor, and over myself.

The first time it did this I thought maybe it was a slow reacting pump nozzle, but this is the third time now so clearly there is an issue.

Has anybody else had this or still got the issue? The car is still under warranty so I'm not too concerned, it's just annoying as well as a safety issue given the petrol goes everywhere due to the pressure.

Any help would be much appreciated 👍🏻

Yes, Ive had this too. On a 72 plate V60 T6. Three times at three different petrol stations. Mine is in for a service in a few weeks I was going to mention to the dealer to see if there was any check that could be done, but like other posters I had thought the cut off to be a function of the pump nozzle not the car...

Yelper85 Aug 15th, 2023 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolphin10 (Post 2909851)
Yes, Ive had this too. On a 72 plate V60 T6. Three times at three different petrol stations. Mine is in for a service in a few weeks I was going to mention to the dealer to see if there was any check that could be done, but like other posters I had thought the cut off to be a function of the pump nozzle not the car...

It's the first time I've ever had it on a car and usually it's the other way round, so super sensitive and cuts off early, as you'd hope and expect.

It's as though enough fuel has been pumped by the time it stops that the volume and pressure is enough to bypass the pipe and hence come out. Or the pipe is somehow being allowed to breathe when it shouldn't.

MrM83 Aug 18th, 2023 20:01

This has happened a few times on my XC90 at my local garage but interestingly haven’t had it recently when I’ve filled up elsewhere, so leads me to assume the pump has a bearing on the matter.

bluebarchetta Aug 18th, 2023 21:50

I was having this problem too. I found that making sue the nozzle was firmly and squarely in the opening helped.

Lexman8 Aug 19th, 2023 09:00

SPA cars have two fuel filler flaps. The first one is obvious but the second one is further down the pipe. The nozzle has to be fully inserted to completely open the second flap otherwise fuel may spill out.