Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   PV overdrive v higher profile tyres (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339637)

morwenna240 Apr 25th, 2024 15:15

PV overdrive v higher profile tyres

Earlier on in the year, someone was wondering about fitting an o/d to their pv, an had heard fitting bigger tyres would equate to having an overdrive.

I’m here to say it works! I fitted 185/80/15’s to mine. Result is a drop of 450 ish rpm at m way speeds. Much more relaxed cruising. You do loose a bit of acceleration, but not overmuch, a round town one doesn’t need to change gear hardly at all. I haven’t put them on front yet, to check wheelarch clearance, will update.
I feel this is worth doing, if just for cost reasons. Fitting an o/d to PV’s involves tunnel alteration, etc. 30 mph now comes up at 55kph, on my speedo.

Salop Farmer Apr 26th, 2024 17:25

I think you may be referring to me although an overdrive was not been considered as these days folks are asking big bucks for a decent unit. We did discuss the fitment of larger tyres on the rear, I was going to try this option, but to date not got round to it. Your results are very interesting and make this a worthwhile exercise which I will definitely be trying over the summer. Thank you.

morwenna240 Apr 27th, 2024 20:55

Great. Having a B20 fitted would help, too. I do have a d type o/d sitting about, that I got for the 145, tho may now not bother, just put 80’s on that, too. The only disadvantage is, u have “o/d” on all gears, so hill climbing means maintaining your revs or dropping a gear. I USE my cars, they work, so I worried about the long term reliability of o/d’s.

Salop Farmer Apr 28th, 2024 15:27

Do you notice the car looking high at the rear with the 80 profiles fitted? Some photos would be good. Am pretty sure there will be fouling issues if you try these tyres on the front : wheel arch and reduced steering lock!! Again thanks.

Clan Apr 28th, 2024 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by morwenna240 (Post 2947143)
Earlier on in the year, someone was wondering about fitting an o/d to their pv, an had heard fitting bigger tyres would equate to having an overdrive.

I’m here to say it works! I fitted 185/80/15’s to mine. Result is a drop of 450 ish rpm at m way speeds. Much more relaxed cruising. You do loose a bit of acceleration, but not overmuch, a round town one doesn’t need to change gear hardly at all. I haven’t put them on front yet, to check wheelarch clearance, will update.
I feel this is worth doing, if just for cost reasons. Fitting an o/d to PV’s involves tunnel alteration, etc. 30 mph now comes up at 55kph, on my speedo.

your speedometer and mileometer will be running slow too of course...

morwenna240 Apr 28th, 2024 23:36

No, it doesn’t look high at all. I haven’t tried them on front yet, tho that is a poss, fouling. I will tell u later in week, when I get to it. No room for two spares in boot, so would have to carry can of Finilec, if they foul the wings. Another thing is, I fancy the springs are tired, as car looks bit low, I wouldn’t want to carry the designated five people.
Yes, Clan, speedo reads diff. Not bothered overly, had google on telling me when 30 comes up so’s to avoid points on license.
An, can someone explain in simple terms, using no computer speak, how to post a pic? Saying “cut a paste” or whatever will be meaningless to me. Ta.

Salop Farmer Apr 29th, 2024 13:44

I also have no idea how to post pictures on this site. It seems over complicated to me not being tech - savvy. If you don’t mind you could send me pics via WhatsApp or Text message. 07796199912 Thanks. Ian

142 Guy Apr 29th, 2024 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by morwenna240 (Post 2947590)
An, can someone explain in simple terms, using no computer speak, how to post a pic? Saying “cut a paste” or whatever will be meaningless to me. Ta.

At the risk of tech speak, you can embed pictures into the text if you have the picture up loaded to an external image hosting service (aka Imgur) and you create an active link to that hosting service. If you don't want to go that route, then you can attach images to your message. For this to work the image file needs to be stored on your computer. They will not embed in the text; but, be attached at the end of the message. To do that, when you are drafting a reply, scroll down below the text entry window and you will find 'Additional Options'. In Additional Options find 'Manage Attachments' and click on that. After that it is fairly self explanatory. You will see an Upload File From Your Computer window. You hit Choose File, search for the file you want to upload, select it and then upload. Done

morwenna240 Apr 29th, 2024 18:39

Mm, mm, ok 142, I’ll grab a teenager an have them walk me thru it. Thank you.
Alright, Ian, I’ll do that. Incidentally, I go Caynam, Shrewsbury from time to time, could swing by you.

Salop Farmer Apr 30th, 2024 11:58

Great thanks. Once I get your pics I will forward you my address and you would be most welcome to call in.