Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   300 series tailgate hinge wanted (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=319333)

Joseph Martin Aug 19th, 2021 14:04

300 series tailgate hinge wanted

Hello,

My n/s hinge on the tailgate of my 360 GLE has seemingly broken - the tailgate is loose and will not close properly unless I lift and push it. I imagine the other side will follow suit.

Does anyone have good ones for sale, and can anyone advise on replacement? I imagine the roof lining will have to be dropped.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Harding Aug 25th, 2021 09:17

Your best bet has to be a scrap yard. Ebay volvotenplus down in Zummerzet had a 340 for bits so worth giving him a shout.

Clan Aug 25th, 2021 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Martin (Post 2763541)
Hello,

My n/s hinge on the tailgate of my 360 GLE has seemingly broken - the tailgate is loose and will not close properly unless I lift and push it. I imagine the other side will follow suit.

Does anyone have good ones for sale, and can anyone advise on replacement? I imagine the roof lining will have to be dropped.

Thanks in advance.

i can probably put my hand on one in primer .. what colour is yours? A result of not lubricating the hinges :-) yes you have to peel the rear headlining down

You will have to get the tailgate off to change the hinges , so why not just change the roll pin which will have worn or rusted and broken ?

I have a couple of stainless steel ones here if it helps . Is the tailgate rusty around the hinges ?

tofufi Aug 25th, 2021 13:12

Just check the roof structure the hinge bolts to is still OK.

Mine was utterly rotten both sides - I got cuts from a donor car to weld it back up :)

Joseph Martin Aug 25th, 2021 18:09

Thanks both - Clan: my car is a smoke grey colour, and the roof and tailgate seem fine and not rusty around it. If taking off the tailgate, I should perhaps change both at the same time.

Let me know what you'd like for the bits posted, thank you.

Clan Aug 25th, 2021 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Martin (Post 2765324)
Thanks both - Clan: my car is a smoke grey colour, and the roof and tailgate seem fine and not rusty around it. If taking off the tailgate, I should perhaps change both at the same time.

Let me know what you'd like for the bits posted, thank you.

can you see exactly what has broken? is the centre part of the hinge which is attached to the Tailgate moving independently to the part bolted to the body ?

or are the two halves of the hinge still solid and the metal torn where the hinge bolts to the body? this is what happened on my 1980 model ..

you will only need the metal hinge roll pins if the body is sound.. The hinges themselves are very robust ..in fact it will not be easy to get the screws out which hold the hinge to the Tailgate so best to leave the actual hinges screwed on ..
I have 2 pins if you really need them.. send a Private Message ...

Two340'sman Aug 28th, 2021 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofufi (Post 2765268)
Just check the roof structure the hinge bolts to is still OK.

Mine was utterly rotten both sides - I got cuts from a donor car to weld it back up :)

A car 340 I had years ago had a similar problem, did a temporary repair with large steel washers.

Clan Aug 28th, 2021 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two340'sman (Post 2766095)
A car 340 I had years ago had a similar problem, did a temporary repair with large steel washers.

It is a growing problem , I would advise everyone to oil their top hinge pins which are hollow , not an easy job but worth spending half an hour on now than weeks later on in the cars life .

No further news on the diagnosis yet ?

Two340'sman Aug 28th, 2021 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2766115)
It is a growing problem , I would advise everyone to oil their top hinge pins which are hollow , not an easy job but worth spending half an hour on now than weeks later on in the cars life .

No further news on the diagnosis yet ?

On my 340's I Waxoyled around the areas when the hinges are, this should slow down any rust.

The 340 1.4 with the rough idle, has been fine since I fiddled with the idle mixture screw.

Clan Aug 28th, 2021 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two340'sman (Post 2766124)
On my 340's I Waxoyled around the areas when the hinges are, this should slow down any rust.

The 340 1.4 with the rough idle, has been fine since I fiddled with the idle mixture screw.

The problem is the hinge gets very stiff due to water / rust and due to the huge leverage you don't notice when you lift the tailgate it bends the metal every time and cracks it eventually as you might expect . Rust just brings failure a bit closer .

Yes the CO screw needs a tweek when the warmer weather comes if set up in winter ...