Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   New engine mount makes all the difference (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=141089)

Welton Dec 15th, 2011 09:06

New engine mount makes all the difference

Just had my lower torque mount changed for the 'new/revised' one and it's made a big difference!

Notably the gear change is better and coming on/off the throttle is more precise in fact the whole thing feels kinda new and tight.

I used to get a mechanical 'thunk' during low-speed gear changes and that has gone now. Grabbing hold of the middle bit of the old mount it was really easy to bend it back just with my fingers so it's way too soft even though it wasn't actually split or anything.

Well worth the Ģ25.00-ish for the mount, got my mechanic to fit it - he said it didn't take long, had to take the undertray off for access.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...nginemount.jpg

andybsl55 May 2nd, 2012 22:57

Can anyone point me in the direct of this particular part?

A search of PFV & eBay have been fruitless...

Welton May 3rd, 2012 07:01

I got it from FRF Volvo through 'Rufe' on this site.........

Torque Arm, Lower: [31277241 (replaces 30680339)]
Retail Price Ģ46.80 / Our Price Ģ40.25

It was Ģ40.00 not 25.00!

craigblues May 3rd, 2012 22:00

Did it really make that much difference.. :-S

andybsl55 Aug 1st, 2012 22:52

I'm considering this -

http://www.elevatecars.com/volvo/s40...e-torque-mount

Anyone tried them...?

Welton Aug 2nd, 2012 08:19

Anything will be better than the crappy standard mount. The Focus ST lads have been fitting poly-bush uprated mounts but complain of vibrations through the car.

The Elevate one reads as though they have addressed the vibration issue so should be ok.

There's also a gearbox mount I believe - I'm sure T5 monkey on here has done the gearbox one?

The uprated Volvo one I fitted is the same as fitted to the Focus RS, it was definitely more solid.

Electronix12 Aug 3rd, 2012 11:39

I get that low speed clunk too.

Will get my engine mounts done!

craigblues Aug 3rd, 2012 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concorde Rules (Post 1219466)
I get that low speed clunk too.

Will get my engine mounts done!

I get a low speed clunk too, its always when I first set off in the car after its been parked. I've always wondered what it is....

andybsl55 Aug 3rd, 2012 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigblues (Post 1219470)
I get a low speed clunk too, its always when I first set off in the car after its been parked. I've always wondered what it is....

That'll be the ABS self test I'd bet...

x DTR x Aug 4th, 2012 20:34

Hi all
Just been reading this thread and seeing people talking about this low speed clonking noise as i too have this, especially when i first drive the car and am slowing down at the end of the road when i first use the brakes. Andybsl55 has mentioned ABS self test but i am sure i hear it a few times but not so much when car is warm! I have read that this can be tested by taking out the ABS fuse and driving carefully and slowly and applying the brakes to see if noise disappears? Suppose it might help to see if it is the torque mount or the ABS making a noise?

SonyVaio Aug 7th, 2012 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigblues (Post 1219470)

Quote:

Originally Posted by andybsl55 (Post 1219498)
That'll be the ABS self test I'd bet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by x DTR x (Post 1220480)
Hi all
Just been reading this thread and seeing people talking about this low speed clonking noise as i too have this, especially when i first drive the car and am slowing down at the end of the road when i first use the brakes. Andybsl55 has mentioned ABS self test but i am sure i hear it a few times but not so much when car is warm! I have read that this can be tested by taking out the ABS fuse and driving carefully and slowly and applying the brakes to see if noise disappears? Suppose it might help to see if it is the torque mount or the ABS making a noise?

As Andy says - the ABS Self Test happens each and every time you turn the engine on and the car reaches 10 to 15mph (iirc exact figure is 13mph) for the first time you'll hear a 'clonk' - this is the self test! It will only happen once at the start of each journey.

:star-wars-smiley-01

aarnes Jun 10th, 2013 13:13

Hi,

Iīm Joachim from the Norwegian Volvo Forum (Volvo Car Club Norway)

Can you pleaes tell me where this part is located?
I was going to replace it now, but i canīt find it.
Would also be great if you could tell me whetever or not i can do the job from the engineroom?

(Sorry for my bad English, i just donīt have all the "car words" in my English-language :-)

Edit:

My car;
C70 2007 D5 aut. trans

Welton Jun 10th, 2013 15:03

Hi, it is located at the rear of the engine block but very low down near the steering rack.

If you open the bonnet and look down the back of the engine bay towards the right-hand side you can just see it at the bottom.

Replacing the part needs to be done from under the car and I think you have to get a jack or something to support the engine whilst you remove the old mount.

aarnes Jun 10th, 2013 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welton (Post 1431086)
Hi, it is located at the rear of the engine block but very low down near the steering rack.

If you open the bonnet and look down the back of the engine bay towards the right-hand side you can just see it at the bottom.

Replacing the part needs to be done from under the car and I think you have to get a jack or something to support the engine whilst you remove the old mount.

Thank you. i checked just now, and to my big surprise, i donīt have this mount at all. it seems like someone has removed it, or istnīt my car equipped with this from Volvo?
I do now understand why i have so much movement when gear shifts...
Have a look at the pictures...
Suggestions ? :)

http://aarnes.me/c70/01.jpg
http://aarnes.me/c70/02.jpg

Welton Jun 11th, 2013 07:13

I can only take a picture from above today but you can just see the mount down at the bottom when looking down the back of the engine, I'm assuming yours would be in the same place on a D5. It's to the right of the exhaust flexi-pipe and below the steering rack.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps6035009c.jpg

t5_monkey Jun 11th, 2013 08:45

Engine mount does make a big difference.

Got the vibra-technics and poly insert on mine which is extremely stiff, you get used to the vibration it does hugely improve shift feel and reduce engine shift as well as wheel tramp.

You can also get stiffer top mounts if you frequent the focus forums however that's an engine out job IIRC.

aarnes Jun 11th, 2013 17:05

thanks for pictures and replies.
Iīm going to a local dealer on Thursday, after talking with them on phone and explained my "worries", the serviceminded guy wanted me to come down after openinghours and try to figure out why i dont have it and if its possible to put on. he also ordered all parts i dont have.
I will let you know what happens after that :-)

aarnes Jun 13th, 2013 21:23

well, D5 engine doesnīt have that mount because of the size of the engine.
I was at Volvo today and if you are going to put on that mount, you have to move the servopump/steering hoses as they are in the back of the gearbox.
On the other side, they have placed a other mount on the passengerside.

sthodgson Jun 15th, 2013 08:36

I had this done a few weeks back. Before I did it the gear stick was very stiff and there was always 'play' in the transmission coming on and off the throttle. It made for very jerky progress. Pulling away was very imprecise too as it was hard to gauge the clutch.

After the new part I noticed an instant improvement - smooth gear change, accurate throttle control and precise pull away. Also, when starting or stopping the engine it doesn't feel like the block is trying to jump out of the car.

One more thing, it has stopped that awful bang when going from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration. It was not an abs test, as I believe it was the engine block hitting something solid as it twisted in the bay.

Good upgrade.

I'm from market harborough too! Don't live there now though.

The mechanic said my lower wishbone bushes were worn which will be a nice big bill. Car feels ok though so in not sure if worth it.

paddyred Jun 15th, 2013 17:24

Considering doing this as I get a low speed "clunk" from the gears, especially in second and when I'm taking it very lightly when I first start off to let the car warm up it makes me look like a really bad driver! My question is, Is it just an unbolt the old and bolt in the new? or do you need to support the gearbox ect?

kane Jun 16th, 2013 10:38

Wondering if anyone has seen this forum: worth watching the video of different mount comparison:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-mounts-for-us

scoobysn7x Jun 17th, 2013 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by t5_monkey (Post 1431519)
Engine mount does make a big difference.

Got the vibra-technics and poly insert on mine which is extremely stiff, you get used to the vibration it does hugely improve shift feel and reduce engine shift as well as wheel tramp.

You can also get stiffer top mounts if you frequent the focus forums however that's an engine out job IIRC.

I got the pumaspeed engine mount fitted and it was a big improvement in gear changes are greatly improves the driving feel and no wheel tramping and hardly any (if any) change in vibration a lot of ST owners fitted the pumaspeed mount (I got mine from a group buy) over the other options as they are meant to cause less of a vibration issue...

shumon Jun 17th, 2013 16:04

1 Attachment(s)
I want to change mine sometime too,
sometimes it takes 2 tries to get it into 1st gear but getting it into other gears is fine.
Also get the mechanical noises from changing at lower gears.

But just a little confused about which parts I'll need for my car,
a 55 plate S40 sport 2.0d.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...1&d=1371481030
Part A is the lower engine mount, but what's the part that links to it, part B?

kane Jun 17th, 2013 19:55

Which model is it off the pumaspeed website?

Would this one fit?

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-V...1080.jsp&pic=2

scoobysn7x Jun 17th, 2013 22:52

Nope I got this one for my T5

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-N...peed_15758.jsp

As a lot of people on the ST owners site recommended it, in fact a more than a few had issues with the vibratech on and a few changed from the vibratech to the pumaspeed one, it will 100% fit the T5, and I'm 90% sure all the gearbox mounts are the same on the S40's but not 100%

kane Jun 18th, 2013 19:02

Does anyone know if the mounts are the same across the different engines from the 1.6D to the T5?

I have a 2.0D with a 6 speed box but wouldn't want to buy the wrong mount.

kane Jun 20th, 2013 21:50

Anyone know if the engine mounts are all the same or any idea how we could find out?

scoobysn7x Jun 20th, 2013 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by kane (Post 1437273)
Anyone know if the engine mounts are all the same or any idea how we could find out?

I'm pretty sure they're the same through the range have a look on c30crew or c30 world as loads on there have fitted the vibratec one and of that fits the pumaspdeeed one will if you want to be sure you could have a butchers under your car

850Chris Jun 21st, 2013 22:15

I have a vibra-technics one fitted which gives A LOT of vibration under 2000rpm (sometimes feels like car is misfiring!!). However, I put up with it as the engine noise inside the cabin is SOOOOOO much nicer than on the standard mount. You get a proper deep 5 cylinder warble compared to the rather muted engine note on the standard mount. Also, when revs get past 2000rpm things smooth out again.

What kind of engine noise do you get in the cabin from the Pumaspeed mount? If noise is enhanced compared to standard but vibration minimal, then I'd be tempted to change out the vibra-technics for a Pumaspeed.

scoobysn7x Jun 22nd, 2013 04:45

I noticed the growl from the engine did change sound a bit meater definately better than before, but I got the engine mount fitted at around the same time as the remap so not sure if its the remap or mount.

I know A lot of the ST owners swapped from the vibratech to the pumaspeed one as the vibration was greatly reduced, all I can say is I've not noticed any difference vibration wise, but the gear change and general driving was greatly improved

iainmd Jun 26th, 2013 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobysn7x (Post 1435558)
Nope I got this one for my T5

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-N...peed_15758.jsp

As a lot of people on the ST owners site recommended it, in fact a more than a few had issues with the vibratech on and a few changed from the vibratech to the pumaspeed one, it will 100% fit the T5, and I'm 90% sure all the gearbox mounts are the same on the S40's but not 100%

Is it a single mount that needs replaced or are there two?

Nick Warwick Jun 26th, 2013 09:37

Can this be done on the 2008 V50 D5?

850Chris Jun 26th, 2013 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850Chris (Post 1437827)
I have a vibra-technics one fitted which gives A LOT of vibration under 2000rpm (sometimes feels like car is misfiring!!). However, I put up with it as the engine noise inside the cabin is SOOOOOO much nicer than on the standard mount. You get a proper deep 5 cylinder warble compared to the rather muted engine note on the standard mount. Also, when revs get past 2000rpm things smooth out again.

What kind of engine noise do you get in the cabin from the Pumaspeed mount? If noise is enhanced compared to standard but vibration minimal, then I'd be tempted to change out the vibra-technics for a Pumaspeed.

Well I've succumbed to the temptation of less vibration and bought myself a Pumaspeed mount. Arrived in the post today and I'll be fitting tomorrow evening so will post up a comparison against the vibra-technics in next couple of days. My hope is that the Pumaspeed mount will still offer an enhanced engine noise compared to the standard (not that this is the reason for fitting these mounts)

850Chris Jun 26th, 2013 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainmd (Post 1440215)
Is it a single mount that needs replaced or are there two?

It's a single mount and it's a 10 minute job to swap them around (so long as you have wheel ramps). I know of a vibra-technics one going cheap if you fancy turning your car into a cement mixer!

kane Jun 26th, 2013 21:03

How do you find the difference - a worth while upgrade? Do you mind linking to which model you bought so others could also purchase the same.

Thank you.

iainmd Jun 26th, 2013 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850Chris (Post 1440493)
It's a single mount and it's a 10 minute job to swap them around (so long as you have wheel ramps). I know of a vibra-technics one going cheap if you fancy turning your car into a cement mixer!

Does the engine require supporting (by a jack etc) whilst swapping these mounts? Also, does anyone know what the mounting bolts should be torqued to?

Feel free to post a how-to guide ;-)

SonyVaio Jun 26th, 2013 22:03

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the torque figures:

:star-wars-smiley-01

scoobysn7x Jun 27th, 2013 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by kane (Post 1440517)
How do you find the difference - a worth while upgrade? Do you mind linking to which model you bought so others could also purchase the same.

Thank you.

I found it a very worth while mod and a cheap mod, I have to confess I didn't do a DIY, as I was getting a clutch and DMF fitted so they did it free of charge. It makes the gear change much nicer feels more precise, and it eliminated a lot of the tramping that you get with a T5 (not sure how much you get this with other models) but I was over the moon with mine.....

iainmd Jun 27th, 2013 17:10

Good feedback. I've taken the plunge and ordered one as well in the hope that the front end becomes a little more civilised. We'll see how it goes.

Nick Warwick Jun 28th, 2013 10:04

Same for the V50 D5 guys?