Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1800: Fuel pipe from tank to pump - metal or flexible? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321523)

tullis Nov 16th, 2021 21:27

Fuel pipe from tank to pump - metal or flexible?

Hello,

I'm working on my 1968 P1800S coupé and I don't like the look of the fuel pipe running from the tank to the pump. It looks like someone has just replaced what was originally there with a bit of something they had handy.

It's a flexible, clear, reinforced pipe, which isn't properly clipped to the chassis. All in all, I wouldn't trust it beyond the end of my drive.

I see from Brookhouse that they sell metal fuel pipe that was used from 1964 to 1969 (link)

I've just bought a Pierburg fuel pump to replace my AC model that was too badly worn, but I'm wondering of someone could please share some best practices for how I should renew this fuel line, between the tank and the pump.

Would it be better to fit the metal pipe, or would people use a flexible hose these days? If you would use a solid pipe like this, where and how it terminate to a flexible hose, because I'm assuming that it wouldn't be solid all the way to the pump.

I'm not necessarily looking for 100% original spec, but the safest option.
If you have any photos of tidy and well-engineered fuel lines which might help me to do it right, that would be great.

Many thanks,
Ben

Clan Nov 16th, 2021 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by tullis (Post 2785806)
Hello,

I'm working on my 1968 P1800S coupé and I don't like the look of the fuel pipe running from the tank to the pump. It looks like someone has just replaced what was originally there with a bit of something they had handy.

It's a flexible, clear, reinforced pipe, which isn't properly clipped to the chassis. All in all, I wouldn't trust it beyond the end of my drive.

I see from Brookhouse that they sell metal fuel pipe that was used from 1964 to 1969 (link)

I've just bought a Pierburg fuel pump to replace my AC model that was too badly worn, but I'm wondering of someone could please share some best practices for how I should renew this fuel line, between the tank and the pump.

Would it be better to fit the metal pipe, or would people use a flexible hose these days? If you would use a solid pipe like this, where and how it terminate to a flexible hose, because I'm assuming that it wouldn't be solid all the way to the pump.

I'm not necessarily looking for 100% original spec, but the safest option.
If you have any photos of tidy and well-engineered fuel lines which might help me to do it right, that would be great.

Many thanks,
Ben

Use 8mm bore copper pipe , plastic will melt in a fire and make things 10 times as bad .

Ron Kwas Nov 16th, 2021 22:30

Ben;

The Fuelline from Tank to engine bay should be a hard-line, properly supported to the underbody with clips...any soft-line will be a POs "repair"...OK for a temporary repair of a pinhole (I've used the trick of splitting a piece of fuel hose and wire-tying it over a pinhole as a temporary repair myself!), but it's anyone's guess if "a flexible, clear, reinforced pipe, which isn't properly clipped to the chassis" is even fuel compatible...I recommend you replace it with a proper 5/16" steel hard-line as it was from the factory (sorry Clan! ...maybe he prefers the ease with which Cu can be formed by hand).

Cheers

c1800 Nov 17th, 2021 00:39

Steel, hard to bend and can rust, copper easy to bend but can work harden and fail. Steel line is a devil to bend to the correct angles and requires a special bender.

Best alternative, Cunifer, a copper, nickel and iron alloy. Easy to bend,won’t corrode nor work harden. Used for modern brake lines as well, including Volvo.

Have replaced my fuel lines and brake lines with it. Very easy to route and bend with your hands.

https://cunifer.com/

You might find that the clips are still there under the car, if not you can get new ones, probably at brookhouse, or at a regular auto supply , they’re fairly generic. The screw holes for the clips are undoubtedly there.

The hardline will terminate somewhere about where the distributor is. Search for pictures on the internet of Volvo Amazon Engine Bay, you’ll get some idea from those.

Here’s an excellent site with loads of info, including parts books, history and repair manuals. You could also check the sales brochures and owners manuals there might be photos of the engine bay in there too.

https://www.volvoamazonpictures.se/

tullis Nov 17th, 2021 18:28

Brilliant! Many thanks all.
I will look at replacing it with cunifer if I can.

Splinelube Nov 20th, 2021 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2785809)
Use 8mm bore copper pipe , plastic will melt in a fire and make things 10 times as bad .

A friend had a pretty severe collision in his Toyota with fire. The fuel line was some form of plastic and the Corolla went up in a blaze/