Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Electrical New V70 Owner - battery question (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322626)

Zedster Jan 7th, 2022 17:18

New V70 Owner - battery question

Just collected my first Volvo a V70 2011 D3 163hp. After parking at a supermarket and listeing to the radio for 20 minutes the battery symbol came on with a warning sign so I assume the battery has low charge.

I have hooked it up to my CTEK charger, simple question I have is how do I know if it is an AGM battery? The battery appears to be a Volvo branded battery which says "lead acid sealed" there is no mention of AGM on the top. Is it safe to assume normal non AGM?

If I do need to replace the battery, does it have to be coded to the car? (I have come from BMW which needed software registration when new battery was fitted, hence the question)

Tannaton Jan 7th, 2022 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedster (Post 2798273)
Just collected my first Volvo a V70 2011 D3 163hp. After parking at a supermarket and listeing to the radio for 20 minutes the battery symbol came on with a warning sign so I assume the battery has low charge.

I have hooked it up to my CTEK charger, simple question I have is how do I know if it is an AGM battery? The battery appears to be a Volvo branded battery which says "lead acid sealed" there is no mention of AGM on the top. Is it safe to assume normal non AGM?

If I do need to replace the battery, does it have to be coded to the car? (I have come from BMW which needed software registration when new battery was fitted, hence the question)

At that age I don't think it will be AGM.

You do not need to "code" new batteries to a Volvo. If you continue to get low battery messages several weeks after changing the battery, you may need to reset the BMS system - a good few vids on youtube on how you can easily do that.

A 2011 car might well be on the original battery, so maybe get it tested?

yostumpy Jan 8th, 2022 08:02

I think I read that when you charge the battery , you have to connect the earth lead to an earth on the body, not battery. This I believe, is so the ‘charging module’ ? knows it’s being charged, and adapt accordingly. If you connect straight to battery, it doesn’t know it’s been charged, and can still flash up low battery. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Zedster Jan 9th, 2022 04:18

Thanks guys, I wnet to Tayna and searched on my reg which confirmed it was standard 096 battery.

FreshAir Jan 10th, 2022 11:06

If its a manual without stop start I think it's the standard battery.

If it's a manual with stop start its an enhanced flooded battery.

If it's an auto with stop start then AGM.

I found I got random results from using reg number on sites. Mainly suggesting AGM when it should have been the EFB one.

Clan Jan 10th, 2022 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2798346)
At that age I don't think it will be AGM.

You do not need to "code" new batteries to a Volvo. If you continue to get low battery messages several weeks after changing the battery, you may need to reset the BMS system - a good few vids on youtube on how you can easily do that.

A 2011 car might well be on the original battery, so maybe get it tested?

just disconnecting the battery alone resets the battery monitor , it soon starts learning and gathering information again ...

Familyman 90 Jan 10th, 2022 11:30

Its worth a phone call to the dealer. A new Volvo battery fro my XC90, fitted while I guzzled thir free coffee and scoffed their free digestives, was only £3 more than sourcing a Varta and doing it myself.

Now I've renewed my VOC membership it would actually be cheaper than buying a Varta and doing it myself.

Clan Jan 10th, 2022 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Familyman 90 (Post 2798845)
Its worth a phone call to the dealer. A new Volvo battery fro my XC90, fitted while I guzzled thir free coffee and scoffed their free digestives, was only £3 more than sourcing a Varta and doing it myself.

Now I've renewed my VOC membership it would actually be cheaper than buying a Varta and doing it myself.

I have been saying that for years on here , no one takes any notice though 🤣

V70Studio Jan 11th, 2022 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Familyman 90 (Post 2798845)

Just rang two dealers for mine and it was £145 and £45 for fitting. both quoted the same price for a standard flooded lead acid. I thought that was bit expensive considering the Varta was only £109. Wanted to put in a genuine but going to wait till after next payday :tounge_smile:

Clan Jan 11th, 2022 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by V70Studio (Post 2799255)
Just rang two dealers for mine and it was £145 and £45 for fitting. both quoted the same price for a standard flooded lead acid. I thought that was bit expensive considering the Varta was only £109. Wanted to put in a genuine but going to wait till after next payday :tounge_smile:

that's a bit much the Volvo standard time is 18 mins , i guess VAT bumps it up .