Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 D5 2006 sensor error codes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321779)

Mr.Tango Nov 28th, 2021 17:35

XC90 D5 2006 sensor error codes

Evening Team,

Well my trusty 2006 XC90 D5 has developed a bit of a problem over the weekend. The car has 147,000 miles on the clock.

The engine management light came on for the second time in as many months, the first time the garage could not find the errors as there were too many in the system to isolate the cause. The engine management light was re-set along with the reams of codes. This Saturday the light came on again so I went straight to our garage as instructed. The engineer plugged in his test equipment and pulled the following codes - 6662, 6663, 1600 and 1000. I have looked up these codes and see that they appear to be sensor pressure issues. Initially no adverse effect was felt from the car until we went out in the afternoon. On the was back from town the gear changes became aggressive and then appeared to go into limp mode as was unable to maintain any speed above 50mph. On the way in to town it was fine.

So my question is, do we know what could cause the error codes 6662, 6663, 1600 and 1000 to appear all at once and to also affect the gear changes and to put it in limp mode.

Thanks in advice Team

gmonag Nov 28th, 2021 20:29

Generic codes don't help much I'm afraid. You really need to get the car hooked up to VIDA and download proper Volvo DTCs.
Otherwise you are just guessing and that gets expensive, quickly.

Mr.Tango Nov 30th, 2021 19:47

Codes

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there,

I did take it to the garage and they used the system you talk about and this is the screen of the errors, does this help at all as to why they all should happen at the same time?

Photo attached.

SwissXC90 Nov 30th, 2021 21:17

Turbo control issues:
Check intake system and turbo vacuum system for leaks using a smoke machine. Check turbo control works.
That's your primary issue.

As for the glow plug relay signal, check glow plug relay and contacts for dirt and corrosion. Check glow plus for continuity, make sure all 5 are the same. This is a secondary issue that will impact cold starting and regeneration, but otherwise not on normal running.

Clan Nov 30th, 2021 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Tango (Post 2789420)
Hi there,

I did take it to the garage and they used the system you talk about and this is the screen of the errors, does this help at all as to why they all should happen at the same time?

Photo attached.

Fit a new boost pressure sensor in the intercooler outlet stub down below the L/H headlamp , a lot of these have been going faulty in the last few years . Not normally a problem before then !
The dealer would prove this by looking at the static readings from all 3 atmospheric pressure sensors and comparing them .

gmonag Nov 30th, 2021 23:28

That is not VIDA and those codes are generic.
Volvo DTCs come in the format eg. ECM-6805

Mr.Tango Dec 2nd, 2021 20:36

Codes

Thanks Guys, plenty to be getting on with here :teeth_smile:

Stay Safe Everyone!