Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   TCV boost pressure solenoid (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=331082)

aquacultureman Feb 24th, 2023 08:57

TCV boost pressure solenoid

1 Attachment(s)
Hi.

Appreciate it if someone could tell me the location of the second/middle boost pressure sensor/solenoid on a late 2009 2L diesel Volvo S40? There are 3 - one on the top of the engine, one below the engine near the turbo, and one in the middle further down from the top one!

I cant locate the middle one so help would be appreciated as to its whereabouts or if an engine diagram is available. A pic of the solenoid in question is attached.

Simmy Feb 24th, 2023 16:26

i am un aware that there is more than one bcs on these engines . i have replaced the one like in the pic i got a cheap one but returned it to the ebay supplier as it made my car run worse so i got a genuine pierburg valve which worked perfect . if there is more than one valve i think you should be able to find it by following the vacuum pipes. have you scanned the car for fault codes what symptoms do you have .the bcs in the pic is located on the side of the engine .

aquacultureman Feb 24th, 2023 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2880859)
i am un aware that there is more than one bcs on these engines . i have replaced the one like in the pic i got a cheap one but returned it to the ebay supplier as it made my car run worse so i got a genuine pierburg valve which worked perfect . if there is more than one valve i think you should be able to find it by following the vacuum pipes. have you scanned the car for fault codes what symptoms do you have .the bcs in the pic is located on the side of the engine .

Thanks. Symptoms: At 1500 to 1600 rpm the car very momentarily driving lumpy with no turbo boost. Only for a second or 2. I have had the the turbo pressure tested - all fine. Smoke test for pipe leaks - fine. Replaced solenoid TCV on top/side of the engine - improvement. Swapped the old one from the engine top with the old one at the bottom - car now worse. Going to swap that one out again with a new solenoid. Car codes - cant remember details tbh - but related to turbo is all. The mystery 'solenoid' in the middle of the car is Im beginning to believe something else - hence the original question - possibly an engine mount vacuum valve as some people alude to but mistake it for a TCV

Simmy Feb 24th, 2023 16:55

the valve i replaced is just on the right hand side of the engine viewed from the front i had the same symptoms as you have its important to get the vac tubes on the right spigots and check /clean the electrical contacts /plug. my car was almost undriveable when my valve failed it was very jerky it might be worth getting the car scanned by someone who has vida.

aquacultureman Feb 24th, 2023 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2880866)
the valve i replaced is just on the right hand side of the engine viewed from the front i had the same symptoms as you have its important to get the vac tubes on the right spigots and check /clean the electrical contacts /plug. my car was almost undriveable when my valve failed it was very jerky it might be worth getting the car scanned by someone who has vida.

Thanks Simmy. Vac tubes on the right spigots - They are definitely on well and on the correct spigots. Ill check and clean the plug then let you know. Any idea what the mid-engine so called TCV solenoid might be? It look identical to the the ones located at the top right and bottom of the engine.

Simmy Feb 24th, 2023 23:52

not sure as i said i wasent aware there was more than one the one i replaced was on the right hand side nr the oil filler is that what you are calling the top one? i scanned with vida which steered me to the fault vida is more than a code reader its a full diagnostic tool to help you find problems .

aquacultureman Feb 25th, 2023 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2880931)
not sure as i said i wasent aware there was more than one the one i replaced was on the right hand side nr the oil filler is that what you are calling the top one? i scanned with vida which steered me to the fault vida is more than a code reader its a full diagnostic tool to help you find problems .

Sorry yes, that's what I'm calling the top one. I need someone with Vida I guess. Hard to come across in N. Ireland though outside of the dealership

Simmy Feb 25th, 2023 10:43

try asking for help. some folk only read posts specific to there model of car try the general section loads have vida but dont offer help to others in sure there must be someone over there .

IainG Feb 26th, 2023 18:47

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
I have this diagram copied from the forum, if any help?
I had a feeling there are 2 down below the alternator, or in that area, it is a while since I was playing with these!!

Simmy Feb 26th, 2023 19:48

iv never seen the others the diagram is good info. but the system seems over complicated im glad just replacing the top one cured my erratic acceleration at £65 per valve it would be expensive to change them all out chasing a fault.:eek: