Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   XC60 D5 Transmission Service Required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318112)

vk2003 Jul 4th, 2021 12:41

XC60 D5 Transmission Service Required

Our car has been showing "Transmission Service Required" whenever we do a longer journey, although the distance required is slowly reducing before it shows... Generally it requires dual carriage/ motorway driving to provoke it though.

My local Volvo Indy (Camberley Independent Volvo Centre) has suggested to change the gearbox oil - he doesn't do this, and couldn't recommend anywhere either.

A question for the hive mind:

Can anyone recommend a good gearbox place please? Gearboxes are expensive items to mess up! I am based around J3/M3.

Thanks folks

rappa Jul 4th, 2021 16:46

gearbox oil change

Hi get a qoute from a main dealer , its fully synthetic oil and they can re set the onboard computer etc, should really be done every 35k. the box is more expensive than oil! all the best.

vk2003 Jul 4th, 2021 18:50

Thank you

XC90Mk1 Jul 4th, 2021 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by vk2003 (Post 2750181)
Our car has been showing "Transmission Service Required" whenever we do a longer journey, although the distance required is slowly reducing before it shows... Generally it requires dual carriage/ motorway driving to provoke it though.

My local Volvo Indy (Camberley Independent Volvo Centre) has suggested to change the gearbox oil - he doesn't do this, and couldn't recommend anywhere either.

A question for the hive mind:

Can anyone recommend a good gearbox place please? Gearboxes are expensive items to mess up! I am based around J3/M3.

Thanks folks

You won’t struggle to get someone to do it. Whilst there is nothing wrong accepting your mechanical abilities to be fair anyone can change the fear box oil on an XC model as long as you have the right fluid specification

Tannaton Jul 4th, 2021 23:20

It's really best to get a dealer to do it as they will use the correct oil and you should also get the transmission control software updated (if needed) at the same time - this can cure a number of issues.

However - the Transmission Service message usually means there is a problem with the gearbox rather than it just needs a "service". Sometimes changing the fluid will resolve some problems but not always.

From the description, I would guess you have a torque converter lockup issue.

vk2003 Jul 5th, 2021 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2750327)
It's really best to get a dealer to do it as they will use the correct oil and you should also get the transmission control software updated (if needed) at the same time - this can cure a number of issues.

However - the Transmission Service message usually means there is a problem with the gearbox rather than it just needs a "service". Sometimes changing the fluid will resolve some problems but not always.

From the description, I would guess you have a torque converter lockup issue.

Right... off to the stealers I go. Used to use Fawcetts as they were independent and v good, but they've been bought out by a larger group. Any one know if they are still excellent, or have another recommendation?

The engine error light does not come on, so the issue is transient, and the car drives perfectly. What is the torque converter lock up issue, and how easy is it to resolve?

rappa Jul 6th, 2021 18:25

gearbox oil

the torque converter is the fluid drive/ coupling between the engine and the gearbox in laymans terms, it has a clutch inside it operated by electronics that locks up the unit at certains speeds giving direct drive and an extra gear if you like, just get the fluid changed you cant get it all out but subsequent oil changes (another one later on) by dilution will get you there. price shouldnt be that high get quote from a few dealers they may vary on price of the oil about £10 a ltr, and reset systems. good luck..

vk2003 Aug 1st, 2021 20:07

Thanks for the explanation Rappa.

Car has been done - oil changed and seals replaced. £1600 and she is running perfectly again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rappa (Post 2750903)
the torque converter is the fluid drive/ coupling between the engine and the gearbox in laymans terms, it has a clutch inside it operated by electronics that locks up the unit at certains speeds giving direct drive and an extra gear if you like, just get the fluid changed you cant get it all out but subsequent oil changes (another one later on) by dilution will get you there. price shouldnt be that high get quote from a few dealers they may vary on price of the oil about £10 a ltr, and reset systems. good luck..