Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2002 V70 2.4L:How to unlockTailgate to access flat battery? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339631)

DunkSargent Apr 25th, 2024 12:27

2002 V70 2.4L:How to unlockTailgate to access flat battery?

2002 V70 2.4 petrol non-turbo has flat battery and cannot open Tailgate. Also has alternator problem – not safe to jump start as alternator 'whines' and when last driven, car showed warning: "El current high STOP SAFELY". Initially i want to access actual battery by finding a way to open tailgate but without compromising electrics system. I have a GOOLOO lithium jump start and can start engine but engine soon stops – maybe because the 'whining' alternator is not charging battery? After connecting the GOOLOO jump start, is it safe to try and use the car key's remote control to 'unlock' the tailgate but without starting the engine? Any other way to unlock the tailgate so I can check / remove battery? 5 seater so no key lock on tailgate. Thanks for reading.

marcb Apr 25th, 2024 12:34

If you connect a battery/pack to the engine bay points I see no reason why you can't activate the central locking without starting the engine. Why didn't you in any case do this when you did jump start?

DunkSargent Apr 25th, 2024 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcb (Post 2947113)
If you connect a battery/pack to the engine bay points I see no reason why you can't activate the central locking without starting the engine. Why didn't you in any case do this when you did jump start?

I'm not experienced with car electrics and need to make sure that ^^^ procedure is safe. I did try yesterday but central locking for whatever reason did not work when jump start leads connected. As you have confirmed it's safe to use remote locking with the lithium pack I'll try again. Thank you.

stuart bowes Apr 25th, 2024 13:03

whenever I do a jump start from the front end I always have to fiddle about with the jump leads a few times before I get a decent connection

I think the last time it worked I had the earth on the upper engine mount bracket, and the awkward bit was the positive point under the flap being quite a small bolt and the jump clamp being a bit fat and not getting in that gap very easy

if anyone has better ideas on that I'd be all ears for next time

DunkSargent Apr 27th, 2024 02:07

Accessed and tested battery; very low voltage. Halfords then tested battery and replaced under warranty – battery 6 months old. Battery refitted and engine running fine and now there is no 'whine' from alternator (but alternator to be tested). Aware blower fan requires reset after battery change by turning to max and then back to minimum. Does anything else require reset after battery change on 2002 V70 2.4L ? Thanks for reading.

DunkSargent Apr 27th, 2024 02:08

#6 Duplicated #5. Admin please delete #6

wynnj Apr 28th, 2024 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcb (Post 2947113)

I've had to do this many times with no problems when the battery goes flat after long term left standing. I use jump leads from another car alonside.

P.S If you read the codes after a flat battery you may find lots of apparently spurious DTCs such as door locks, mirrors etc. If you just clear them and reset your seat and mirror memory positions everything should be OK going forward.

P.P.S. The whine from the alternator may, and I stress may, be because of a very high charging load in trying to support a failing battery, however, keep monitoring it and if it returns get it looked at.