Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Cambelt - snapped (v70r awd) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=335680)

aarongs Oct 8th, 2023 10:50

Cambelt - snapped (v70r awd)

Morning,

Driving along the M6 yesterday, my v70r dumped its coolant.
I was driving along, coolant light came on, temp was fine, trying to pull over and we stalled and lost the coolant.
Car now transported to in-laws street.

I have checked - its snapped the cambelt. I am beyond gutted. Its been well cared for and was running well. Cambelt was changed a few months ago only.

I am presuming the valves will be bent but i am not in a position to check as away from home.

Its a 1998 V70R awd. Only on 111,300miles or there about. New exhaust a year ago, new brakes 2months ago and so on. So it feels like (it was) a decent car.

So, can anyone guide what sort of cost I would be looking at to repair?

I am trying to weigh up repair (local v transport back to edinburgh) versus selling it as it is versus stripping it for parts :eek:

Thoughts appreciated. A sad day before my mother in laws funeral.

Cheers,
Aaron.

duke1 Oct 8th, 2023 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarongs (Post 2917342)
Morning,

Driving along the M6 yesterday, my v70r dumped its coolant.
I was driving along, coolant light came on, temp was fine, trying to pull over and we stalled and lost the coolant.
Car now transported to in-laws street.

I have checked - its snapped the cambelt. I am beyond gutted. Its been well cared for and was running well. Cambelt was changed a few months ago only.

I am presuming the valves will be bent but i am not in a position to check as away from home.

Its a 1998 V70R awd. Only on 111,300miles or there about. New exhaust a year ago, new brakes 2months ago and so on. So it feels like (it was) a decent car.

So, can anyone guide what sort of cost I would be looking at to repair?

I am trying to weigh up repair (local v transport back to edinburgh) versus selling it as it is versus stripping it for parts :eek:

Thoughts appreciated. A sad day before my mother in laws funeral.

Cheers,
Aaron.

hi sorry for your loss,the car i would get a new cambelt fit it yourself if your able and see if the engine turns over by hand take the plugs out and you will soon tell roughly if its damaged,then a compression test .good luck

aarongs Oct 8th, 2023 21:57

Hi,

Thank duke1. Helpful and appreciated. I cant see me getting time to manage to test it like that, annoyingly.
I actually think belt may be intact but tensioner in bits.
Either way, think i will see if anyone wants to buy it as a non runner quickly; if not i will try to get it taken home.

Baffler Oct 8th, 2023 22:17

Condolences to you and your family!

Do you have any comeback on the belt replacement or did you fit it yourself? Maybe have it transported home, allowing yourself time to think and price up the job, then make your decision...? Sounds like a nice example.

buick boy Oct 8th, 2023 22:39

Sounds like the water pump failed and took the cambelt with it . Was it changed with the cambelt ? . It should have been .

Clan Oct 8th, 2023 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by buick boy (Post 2917447)
Sounds like the water pump failed and took the cambelt with it . Was it changed with the cambelt ? . It should have been .

It wont be the water pump they are bullet proof, I wonder if a non volvo belt and tensioner were used a couple of months ago?

El Padrino Oct 9th, 2023 11:34

My sincere condolences to you and your family. Not what you needed with the car after losing a family member.

It's always daunting to hear horror stories of people's cambelt going and think could mine go at anytime. I hope you can get it sorted once you are back home. Did you use an OEM cambelt?

aarongs Oct 9th, 2023 14:34

It has the original waterpump that was in good condition so that was not changed. The garage uses genuine kits so the belt and tensioner should have been genuine and so i am surprised they have failed.
The belt actually may be intact but loose. The tensioner seems in pieces ( it was a very quick look that i took) but the belt is in place on the top two sprockets. I am really hoping that just maybe it did not skip and tooth and bend things. Maybe not realistic but hoping anyway.

aarongs Oct 9th, 2023 14:47

And thanks Baffler and El Padrino for the condolonces. What a few days.

ITSv40 Oct 9th, 2023 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarongs (Post 2917513)
It has the original waterpump that was in good condition so that was not changed. The garage uses genuine kits so the belt and tensioner should have been genuine and so i am surprised they have failed.
The belt actually may be intact but loose. The tensioner seems in pieces ( it was a very quick look that i took) but the belt is in place on the top two sprockets. I am really hoping that just maybe it did not skip and tooth and bend things. Maybe not realistic but hoping anyway.

Sincere condolences. Never an easy time whatever the circumstances.

Regarding the car: I have never changed a water pump and even after 370,000 miles still all good. All they need at belt change is checking for any play and gritty running when spun. It could be that the tensioner wasn't torqued correctly and allowed the tensioner to lose its setting - assuming it is the spring type, not the hydraulic piston tensioner.