Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 blond leather (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322849)

tbb33 Jan 16th, 2022 21:47

XC60 blond leather

Hello all,

I'm looking at replacing my current XC60 with a new XC60 B5P Core. Pretty much settled on Denim Blue and tempted by the blond leather.

What are people's experiences of keeping blond leather clean and looking as new, particularly if you wear jeans? It looks great but have a slight concern it may be a nightmare to keep in good nick. I'd probably try to get a deal on the paint/interior protection which I assume would help.

Wizzpop Jan 16th, 2022 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbb33 (Post 2800412)
Hello all,

I'm looking at replacing my current XC60 with a new XC60 B5P Core. Pretty much settled on Denim Blue and tempted by the blond leather.

What are people's experiences of keeping blond leather clean and looking as new, particularly if you wear jeans? It looks great but have a slight concern it may be a nightmare to keep in good nick. I'd probably try to get a deal on the paint/interior protection which I assume would help.

My V60 has blond leather. I'm a low mileage user, and don't wear jeans. I haven't had any problems keeping it clean and in good nick. I use a proprietary leather cleaner occasionally which seems sufficient.
I much prefer the lighter interior. One courtesy car I had recently was another V60 with charcoal interior. I found that quite oppresive after the blond.

ThomasC91 Jan 17th, 2022 09:10

I wish I had blonde leather.

I find leather annoying anyway trying to keep clean. Doesn't seem to matter what I clean it with there are always smears. I have dark leather in mine

bornmiddleaged Jan 17th, 2022 09:25

When I've bought cars previously I've always avoided light coloured seats as I thought they'd be a nightmare to keep clean, however, 2.5 years and about 15,000 miles into ownership I am converted!
I only wear jeans occasionally but I do wear quite dark coloured cords and you can see some dye transfer from those after a couple of weeks of wearing, but as long as you give it a clean about once a month or so, it comes straight off.
I use the Dodojuice cleaner and sealer, which works for me. There are other threads on here about other products people use.

In reply to ThomasC91 I'm not sure how you're getting smearing, I've never had this. Sounds like you may be using some sort of cream based cleaner or "treatment". The leather in modern cars has a coating on top so if you are using something that says it will feed the leather, it won't be feeding the leather as the leather doesn't need feeding, all you are doing is smearing a greasy product on top of sealed.

Anyway, back to the question, go for the cream leather, it makes the interior much brighter and airier - I find my wife's car with dark fabric seats really dingy now.

ThomasC91 Jan 17th, 2022 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged (Post 2800462)
When I've bought cars previously I've always avoided light coloured seats as I thought they'd be a nightmare to keep clean, however, 2.5 years and about 15,000 miles into ownership I am converted!
I only wear jeans occasionally but I do wear quite dark coloured cords and you can see some dye transfer from those after a couple of weeks of wearing, but as long as you give it a clean about once a month or so, it comes straight off.
I use the Dodojuice cleaner and sealer, which works for me. There are other threads on here about other products people use.

In reply to ThomasC91 I'm not sure how you're getting smearing, I've never had this. Sounds like you may be using some sort of cream based cleaner or "treatment". The leather in modern cars has a coating on top so if you are using something that says it will feed the leather, it won't be feeding the leather as the leather doesn't need feeding, all you are doing is smearing a greasy product on top of sealed.

Anyway, back to the question, go for the cream leather, it makes the interior much brighter and airier - I find my wife's car with dark fabric seats really dingy now.

I have Dr leather wipes and also use autoglym. Maybe I just need to go over again after with a damp cloth as it might be leaving residue behind. I think dark leather shows up water marks more.

bornmiddleaged Jan 17th, 2022 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasC91 (Post 2800468)
I have Dr leather wipes and also use autoglym. Maybe I just need to go over again after with a damp cloth as it might be leaving residue behind. I think dark leather shows up water marks more.

Not seen the Dr Leather wipes but reading the blurb, looks like they should be fine.
Looking up Autoglym it looks like they have 2 products - a cleaner and a balm. is it definitely the cleaner you are using not the balm?

Yes, it might just be a case of a quick wipe with a slightly damp cloth once you're done.

Vinesh Jan 17th, 2022 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged (Post 2800462)

Agree on the DodoJuice Supernatural cleaner and sealer - good stuff. I have black leather but still good at getting the 'Sheen' off and doesn't leave residue - does need a dry wipe, after application.

ovlov04v Jan 17th, 2022 11:01

I have had blond 'leather' in cars ( Jags, Mercs, Skoda and now Volvo) for years and no problems. As other have said, regular maintenance with an appropriate product for modern car leathers is the answer. Incidentally black leather needs the same sort of treatment tio keep it in good order.

I find cars with black leather feel very cramped inside and somehow less luxurious.

Volvo do carry a cleaner as an accesory but it is typically expensive compared to brands. I generally use Dr Leather wipes.

James77 Jan 18th, 2022 16:32

Love the blond leather easy to keep clean even wearing jeans I too use Supernatural maybe once/twice a year even with kids in the back destroying the cabin no issue at all.

Lescal Jan 18th, 2022 20:30

I’ve got the blond leather and after 3 years and 50k miles it still looks good as new. I wear jeans every day, it’s never been cleaned and it’s had two young kids in it every day - I don’t think you need to worry overly much.

It does make the cabin so much brighter too.