Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   New engine required on xc60? 3 years old (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318545)

Frankiee Jul 28th, 2021 22:45

If the vehicle is on Finance, speak with the finance company, as there’s an element of protection via the tri-party agreement, between you, the supplying dealer and the finance company.
They will normally has the vehicle independently inspected and a report is produced.
Being that you’re now outside of the first 6 months of ownership the onus is on you to prove there was a fault with the vehicle. However there is also an argument that a car which has been fully serviced and covered low mileage should not fail. The value of the vehicle is also taken into account in these circumstances too, hence a premium luxury vehicle should be expected to last longer than 4 years.
You’ll have to approach the selling dealer though as that’s who your contract is with.

Clan Jul 29th, 2021 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lean (Post 2757467)
Hi all,

Volvo are saying they will pay 50% of the cost. I bought the vehicle from another dealer (down south) rather than the one it's currently with now.

Just thinking about next steps as (having read up on consumer law uk) I have to prove that the vehicle is not fit for purpose.

Any advice for next steps? Volvo seem to be washing their hands of it albeit offering 50% contribution - but I cannot get over the fact that it's only done 24k in just over 3 years and the engine has failed..

We still don't know what is actually wrong with it do we?

Philip Fisher Jul 29th, 2021 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2757708)
We still don't know what is actually wrong with it do we?

Indeed no we don't other than a quick inspection says needs new engine..... Wonder have they done a compression test? Have they put a camera into the cylinders?

Lean Jul 29th, 2021 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2757738)
Indeed no we don't other than a quick inspection says needs new engine..... Wonder have they done a compression test? Have they put a camera into the cylinders?

This is all I have at the moment.

Vehicle recovered in as non-runner. Carried out initial test and found plug number 1 covered in oil with

Fault code ECM-P0300 cylinder number 1 misfire.

Checked and found no compression on cylinder 1.

Checked with camera scope and found piston wet/oily.

Suspect requires new engine.

And to carry out further inspection would be £2.5k as they would need to remove low end

Clan Jul 29th, 2021 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lean (Post 2757745)
This is all I have at the moment.

Vehicle recovered in as non-runner. Carried out initial test and found plug number 1 covered in oil with

Fault code ECM-P0300 cylinder number 1 misfire.

Checked and found no compression on cylinder 1.

Checked with camera scope and found piston wet/oily.

Suspect requires new engine.

And to carry out further inspection would be £2.5k as they would need to remove low end

They haven't finished the proper volvo diagnosis path yet they should have done a cylinder leakage test next to determine where the compression is leaking away to ... they already had an injector out it would have only taken 30 mins to give say an 90% accurate diagnosis . throw it back at them and ask why they did not finish the process ...

volvo now sell a separate lower half of the engine to make any repair process a LOT cheaper ...

(EDIT ) a lot less expensive !

Zebster Jul 29th, 2021 12:08

I'm not sure whether this is a diesel, but the diesel VEA 'intake manifold fire risk' safety recall last year did also oblige the nominated dealership to make further checks - in addition to the default visual checks, software update and sensor cleaning - as necessary in regard to checking the fuller extent of the soot contamination issues on affected vehicles; in my case the IMRC mechanism/'swirl valve' was found to be slightly sticking so I got a complete new replacement intake manifold assembly fitted for free. However the dealership did then also inspect the intake valve stems to check for soot build-up, as apparently in extreme cases the intake valves can fail to close, resulting in compression and combustion being lost back into the intake manifold... this is actually what leads to the fire risk as the leaking combustion spits back into the soot and oil-soaked plastic manifold! My valve stems apparently looked fine, nevertheless a compression test was undertaken and I received the results.

Maybe they didn't look closely enough at your intake system during the recall?

Lean Jul 29th, 2021 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2757790)
I'm not sure whether this is a diesel, but the diesel VEA 'intake manifold fire risk' safety recall last year did also oblige the nominated dealership to make further checks - in addition to the default visual checks, software update and sensor cleaning - as necessary in regard to checking the fuller extent of the soot contamination issues on affected vehicles; in my case the IMRC mechanism/'swirl valve' was found to be slightly sticking so I got a complete new replacement intake manifold assembly fitted for free. However the dealership did then also inspect the intake valve stems to check for soot build-up, as apparently in extreme cases the intake valves can fail to close, resulting in compression and combustion being lost back into the intake manifold... this is actually what leads to the fire risk as the leaking combustion spits back into the soot and oil-soaked plastic manifold! My valve stems apparently looked fine, nevertheless a compression test was undertaken and I received the results.

Maybe they didn't look closely enough at your intake system during the recall?

T5 Polestar - Petrol.

Bendolfc Jul 29th, 2021 12:51

Seems odd Volvo would agree to cover half the cost without proper diagnosis?

Rocinante Jul 29th, 2021 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bendolfc (Post 2757800)
Seems odd Volvo would agree to cover half the cost without proper diagnosis?

I agree with this as I attempted to make the same point on page 1:
" "Suspect requires new engine" - I'd like more than a suspicion before spending £9000 (or even £4.5). But they may have more information that what was shared as I would think Volvo would want some conclusive evidence before agreeing to spend £4.5k."

eternal optimist Jul 29th, 2021 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocinante (Post 2757807)
I agree with this as I attempted to make the same point on page 1:
" "Suspect requires new engine" - I'd like more than a suspicion before spending £9000 (or even £4.5). But they may have more information that what was shared as I would think Volvo would want some conclusive evidence before agreeing to spend £4.5k."

I suspect that's the opening point for negotiations. I wouldn't have thought that Volvo have made any firm commitment to anything without knowing exactly what the causes of any problem might be.