Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Xc60 2012 awd d5. Horn! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316511)

Adrian B May 2nd, 2021 20:00

Xc60 2012 awd d5. Horn!

Hi. Not had the car long and thought the horns tone and decibel level was rather "weak" for the vehicle!
Anyhow today I had to clear my path of some wandering sheep so I press the horn and WOW it sounded like a jugganout! a proper twin horn big sound etc
Is there a sensor somewhere in the front screen that alters the volume and tone When a real hazard is in front? Later I tried the horn when parked, back to a weak toot😕 I did hit the center of the steering wheel hard for the sheep As said below it could be a bad connection in the steering wheel center
Regards

Deck1ng May 2nd, 2021 20:56

Gosh I can’t see even volvo being that clever! I would suspect a dickie wire/bad connection personally. But always prepared to be proven wrong.😁

Adrian B May 2nd, 2021 21:54

I think it should be a dual high/ low horn. One is faulty. So the connection to one of them I presume needs cleaning or the whole unit needs replacing. It's a 2013 model XC60 D5 AWD. How do I get to the single twin horn unit or does it have two single horns one on the left and one on the right?
Regards

Deck1ng May 2nd, 2021 22:59

I think you’ll find the horn offside front corner. IIRC.

Adrian B May 3rd, 2021 03:49

Ok thanks. The weak horn noise is coming from the offside bumper area below the headlight. After some googling am I right to assume that to access the horn, remove offside wheel then remove wheel arch liner? Regards

Deck1ng May 3rd, 2021 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian B (Post 2733671)
Ok thanks. The weak horn noise is coming from the offside bumper area below the headlight. After some googling am I right to assume that to access the horn, remove offside wheel then remove wheel arch liner? Regards

I do believe that is correct.

Adrian B May 9th, 2021 08:55

Hi all. It is correct. Remove front offside wheel, remove front half of inner arch with T25 torx. 8mm socket to remove bracket with the two horns on. Electric connection is of a push to release design.
Clean connections. Put back on but still only one horn working. Found this kit on eBay. It is cheaper than second hand! Don't need the relay bit supplied as this kit fits fords etc,etc.
I have ordered one.
"927695 Pair Horns Horn Fiamm AM80S KIT 2TJU 12v Car Vehicles Com Relay cost £19.99"
Hardest part of the job is putting the wheel back on😳 regards

Easington May 9th, 2021 15:14

Give us a review after fitting please

Adrian B May 13th, 2021 09:13

Kit arrived. Extra bits in box for fords and other cars. Just fitted it. Spot on.exactly same items as Volvo put on in factory.👍🏻
Recommended if you need one.