Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S60 Electrics: Anti skid service required?!? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=34573)

Razer Mar 25th, 2007 11:42

Anti skid service required?!?

opened the garage this morning and decided to do the weekly checks, oil, washer etc. Anyway popped the lid on the box at the front left which i thought was a fuse box. Looked inside saw a Bosch unit, wiped it with a cloth as it was dirty (closed box no gholes or wires visible) and then clipped the black cover back on. Carried on and wiped round the rest of the engine bay.

Closed the bonnet and started the car to pull out of the garage, but noticed it took a bit longer to start, anyway pulled out turned off as i wanted to clean the wheels and load the boot up to go to the tip. Did that and then got back in and turned the key, hey presto started fine but then in the message window it came up with 'anti skid service required' and thought oh no a trip to the dealers. Anyway drove to the tip turned the car off got out and emptied the stuff from the boot.

Got back in and started the car and expected to see the same message when i started the car, but no, it wasnt there. I pushed the read button on the end of the stalk and it said i had no messages (when it happend i pressed read and it said 1 message) So do i presume it has sorted itself out since the message has gone and just keep an eye on it or do i book it in at the local dealer?

Would lifting the cover under the bonnet caused anything? and surely if the problem still exists the message would stay on?

v70 cymru Mar 25th, 2007 12:02

I had the same, asked the dealer, who wanted it in for a service! But the mechanic whispered it could be a build-up of brake dust on the sensor. I did over 10,000 miles before the pads & shoes needed changing.

Ben 77 Mar 25th, 2007 12:03

The black box you opened is the ECU so you may have upset it,anyhow,how do you do an anti skid service?Take it to the dealers and let them tear around and tell you its ok?

Ben.

Razer Mar 25th, 2007 12:25

ah, it could be the sensors on the wheels as i had just dusted off the brake dust. I think i'll just keep an eye on it for now.

If wiping the ECU with a cloth upset it then blimey, its not very robust!!!

akash Mar 26th, 2007 17:10

I had this when I first got the car and it was fixed straight away
it was the sensor on the pedal that was faulty thats it

V70V70V70 Jul 17th, 2007 10:11

Anti skid service required

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and this was prompted by a worry I have. There was a slight clunk at the start of a possible wheel spin on the left front going over a wet manhole cover with medium to low acceleration from stopped. Within 30 seconds from that the "anti skid service required" message came up. This car has done 19000 miles and was serviced 5 weeks ago. Any suggestions folks? Many thanks

jschapman Jul 17th, 2007 10:32

sounds like a sensor mate.

saufboy Jul 17th, 2007 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jschapman (Post 264542)
sounds like a sensor mate.

Mine has just been in for a service at volvos and i have "anti skid service" and "Brake assist service req" come up all the time and volvo told me the sensor on one of the wheels needs replacing. they will steal £150 for the pleasure, seeing as i paid £700 for the service and a few other little things i have left it for now but they said the abs WONT work all the time it needs replacing????

clemj Feb 27th, 2009 19:33

anti skid service

My V50 is a month out of warranty, the anti skid warning has come up and the agent wants £1500 to put it right! Any suggestions?

p1nny Feb 27th, 2009 21:19

I have same thing! think it may have contibuted to my crash a few weeks ago! where and how do i check the sensors! ill be damned if im paying volvo a couple of 100 to change a sensor