Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Poor acceleration (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325275)

Dazvolvo May 6th, 2022 17:11

Poor acceleration

Hi, my v70 2002 has poor acceleration and the engine sounds “tappy” any time I add more throttle.
I can cruise on the motorway but if I give a bit more throttle to go up an incline it accelerates slowly and the engine sounds “tappy”

It’s like the mixture is too rich and there’s no performance at all.

Also if I really boot it up to 3000-4000 revs there’s a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust.

I have Vida but no codes stored.

Anyone have any ideas or pointers for me please?
Thanks all.

JoeNinety May 6th, 2022 17:15

Diesel / Petrol / (turbo) ?

Ripmax May 6th, 2022 17:20

Had similar symptoms on our D5. The turbo bearing was shot, had lots of play. Another common fault is the turbo actuator valve going bad, which is a pretty inexpensive part, and easy to replace (directly behind the nearside headlight) but this usually throws a DTC, which VIDA would obviously pick up.

Dazvolvo May 6th, 2022 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeNinety (Post 2822955)
Diesel / Petrol / (turbo) ?

Apologies - D5 diesel

Joe Harding May 9th, 2022 11:16

Easy starting point is check the MAF sensor. We had one go and the acceleration became very sluggish and developed a noticeable flat spot. Cleaning can sometimes help but checking with diagnostics will usually confirm any issues

Dazvolvo May 17th, 2022 17:02

Now fixed- no engine pinking/clicking..

Sorted it out now. I took the oil cap off and the engine was making a loud popping sound. According to great YouTube videos by SiRobb I learned that one of the engine mounts was leaking vacuum. So I did as he said and disconnected the pipe going to the T piece vacuum pipe that splits it to the turbo also.
Immediately the car was way faster and smoother, so I now realise it was the turbo that wasn’t working.
I know it has been like this for a year and worry that it’s been running rich. I then bought some hydraulic lifter additive and the engine now purrs like new and is accelerating smoothly.
Just need to sort the “leaky” engine mount now.
Liqimoly I think was the additive I used.

Dazvolvo Mar 23rd, 2024 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazvolvo (Post 2822954)
Hi, my v70 2002 has poor acceleration and the engine sounds “tappy” any time I add more throttle.
I can cruise on the motorway but if I give a bit more throttle to go up an incline it accelerates slowly and the engine sounds “tappy”

It’s like the mixture is too rich and there’s no performance at all.

Also if I really boot it up to 3000-4000 revs there’s a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust.

I have Vida but no codes stored.

Anyone have any ideas or pointers for me please?
Thanks all.

Solution was - Rear lower engine moint was leaking vacuum, also Turbo air pipe had spli, also intercooler was rusted and swollen.
Thanks to Bridgend Volvo for finding all of the above.