Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC90 D5 Polestar Optimisation (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311656)

simonj67 Nov 11th, 2020 13:13

XC90 D5 Polestar Optimisation

Hi, I have a 2018 XC90 D5 R-Design and am considering getting the Polestar optimisation, Snows Volvo have it on offer until the end of the year at £600 instead of the normal £749, looking for opinions from other D5 XC90 owners as to how it improves the performance etc.. over standard.

jotka Nov 11th, 2020 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonj67 (Post 2680578)
Hi, I have a 2018 XC90 D5 R-Design and am considering getting the Polestar optimisation, Snows Volvo have it on offer until the end of the year at £600 instead of the normal £749, looking for opinions from other D5 XC90 owners as to how it improves the performance etc.. over standard.

I have it on S90 which is also heavy cow. My review: I smile more often when I drive :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/l0cgVSU.jpg

lordofthejungle Jun 8th, 2021 21:38

Polestar

Bumping up. New owner of a xc90 2017 D5. Is it worth the POlestar upgrade? Will be impact the warranty I bought from the dealer? Is it noticeably improved performance :)

Chudy85 Jun 8th, 2021 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofthejungle (Post 2743904)
Bumping up. New owner of a xc90 2027 D5. Is it worth the POlestar upgrade? Will be impact the warranty I bought from the dealer? Is it noticeably improved performance :)

It will not affect your warranty in any case.
Is it worth it i have D4 and still without polestar optimization but i will do it in 100% as on my engine is quite good power increase on middle range.
I want to do it to eliminate gearbox lag.
If you get good deal for optimization go for it.

Quacker Jun 8th, 2021 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofthejungle (Post 2743904)
Bumping up. New owner of a xc90 2017 D5. Is it worth the POlestar upgrade? Will be impact the warranty I bought from the dealer? Is it noticeably improved performance :)

It doesn't improve performance at all. Not outright performance. What it does is alter the drive modes to be more responsive to the throttle pedal movement.

I paid for it and it was OK but not worth paying extra for in my opinion. It should be included as just another sporty drive mode or be the standard Sport mode.

The only purpose of this Polestar 'upgrade' is to further empty your wallet. It did mine. Would not be as daft in future.

XCRoman90 Jun 8th, 2021 22:05

I had the polestar on my 2018 D5 which I sold today - I would say the benefit is marginal though compared to a non P* D5 initial pickup was a little better - It does not turn the 2L engine into 3L in terms of feel however.

Am I glad I had it? Yes and would add again. Also I think you can try it and if you don't like it they can remove it and give your money back. Be aware that when you come to sell your car in future you will get zero extra for it!

Boatie Jun 8th, 2021 22:05

A slight digression but can anyone comment on insurance implications?. I have a 16 month old V90 R Design D5 Pro and was considering having it Polestarred. My company (LV) quoted an additional Circa £140. Max NCD, one driver, no boy racer (indeed no young boy). At the time it needed an instant decision so opted against going down that line. Just interested in other peoples experiences.

XCRoman90 Jun 8th, 2021 22:15

Mine was fitted from new - all the insurance companies I have used have not charged more for it as it is a manufacturer option not a aftermarket add on...used Aviva and RSA for mine.

Quacker Jun 8th, 2021 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatie (Post 2743922)
A slight digression but can anyone comment on insurance implications?. I have a 16 month old V90 R Design D5 Pro and was considering having it Polestarred. My company (LV) quoted an additional Circa £140. Max NCD, one driver, no boy racer (indeed no young boy). At the time it needed an instant decision so opted against going down that line. Just interested in other peoples experiences.

It hardly changes the engine's power or torque and my insurance company [NFU] didn't want to know.

lordofthejungle Jun 8th, 2021 22:56

My gut says if I want v6 power I will take my Lexus IS250 out for a spin. This purchase is to waft along staycation holidays. With P-Pulse I guess I have enough grunt to get to 70mph and stay there on motorways! Indeed a 3 litre V6 would do wonders to a xc90. Nearly went for a q7....