Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Help Car wont start. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338767)

osullivant Mar 14th, 2024 12:46

Help Car wont start.

2006 XC90 Manual D5 185.

I have had this car for about 4 years, it is an awful looking yoke with its mismatched mirrors torn seat and bad spray job on the rear door but it has always done its job. which is get me and my stuff where ever I want to go...

I don't use it much so it often sits unused for weeks at a time, until last week it always started, sometimes it may need a restart after a few seconds and then it would be fine.

I went to move it last week and the battery was low and it would not start, I charged the battery and still no start.

turns over fine but there is no attempt to fire. Fuel being delivered to the high pressure pump and there seems to be plenty of fuel at the injectors.

I sense it is an electrical problem, I have tried two original keys and locked and unlocked with no issue.

I have tried VIDA and i cant see any faults which should prevent a start. ( several about the cabin temperature, brake pressure, and a few random about the 4wd gubbins on the back axle etc.

its a new to me version of VIDA and I was not able to get any live data like RPM etc I was hoping to see if the crank position sensor was operating, if this can be seen on VIDA can anyone give me instructions on how to see it.

Are there any suggestions on what I might try? all modules came up as available on VIDA so dos that rule out a bad CEM?

osullivant Mar 25th, 2024 23:05

Has anyone got a suggestion, car still won't start.

Carlosos Mar 26th, 2024 01:53

If you have enough juice and fuel is at the injectors what else is there it should run, shouldnt it even if running poorly? I wouldn’t know how to check but surly it has to be one of those.

Carlosos Mar 26th, 2024 01:54

I would perhaps post this in the v70 section there is much more traffic and your more likely to get a response.

Carlosos Mar 26th, 2024 01:55

Glow plugs?

GrahamBrown1 Mar 26th, 2024 06:06

What rail pressure have you got? If it doesn’t have rail pressure it will never run.

XJSDriver Mar 27th, 2024 13:46

As said if you have fuel at the injectors then only thing stopping it is electric signal to injector to fire. As fuel pump is running I doubt is immobiliser so I would check the wires to the ECU. If you are confident, disconnect the battery and unplug the ECU connectors and check all clean and dry. Also check if any other wires in the engine bay have been dislodged or damaged.

Simmy Mar 27th, 2024 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by osullivant (Post 2940697)
2006 XC90 Manual D5 185.

I have had this car for about 4 years, it is an awful looking yoke with its mismatched mirrors torn seat and bad spray job on the rear door but it has always done its job. which is get me and my stuff where ever I want to go...

I don't use it much so it often sits unused for weeks at a time, until last week it always started, sometimes it may need a restart after a few seconds and then it would be fine.

I went to move it last week and the battery was low and it would not start, I charged the battery and still no start.

turns over fine but there is no attempt to fire. Fuel being delivered to the high pressure pump and there seems to be plenty of fuel at the injectors.

I sense it is an electrical problem, I have tried two original keys and locked and unlocked with no issue.

I have tried VIDA and i cant see any faults which should prevent a start. ( several about the cabin temperature, brake pressure, and a few random about the 4wd gubbins on the back axle etc.

its a new to me version of VIDA and I was not able to get any live data like RPM etc I was hoping to see if the crank position sensor was operating, if this can be seen on VIDA can anyone give me instructions on how to see it.

Are there any suggestions on what I might try? all modules came up as available on VIDA so dos that rule out a bad CEM?

in vida go to vehicle communications read the ecm use the advanced tab. read all other modules looking for faults check the ecm fuse has not blown. searh for any wiring damage. chewed by rodents ect is the fuel filter clean and plenty fuel in the tank?:regular_smile:

cbv8 Apr 1st, 2024 21:37

Maybe the battery has just died or a cell has failed?