Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Where did all the fuel go? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320204)

MG68 Sep 25th, 2021 12:51

Where did all the fuel go?

I can't believe that after Bogrollgate early on in the pandemic, we are now facing Fuelgate.

Just drove 10 miles to two local filling stations - one closed & the other with several pumps out, no diesel & a queue of traffic.

Car now showing range of 40 miles, well into the reserve & me potentially stranded.

Another example of the "screw you mate, I'm OK" culture in this country?

Highly Peevd.

Good weekend all!

andy_d Sep 25th, 2021 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG68 (Post 2773240)
I can't believe that after Bogrollgate early on in the pandemic, we are now facing Fuelgate.

Just drove 10 miles to two local filling stations - one closed & the other with several pumps out, no diesel & a queue of traffic.

Car now showing range of 40 miles, well into the reserve & me potentially stranded.

Another example of the "screw you mate, I'm OK" culture in this country?

Highly Peevd.

Good weekend all!

yeps Yet Another case of
MEDIA Scaremongering causing problems for everyone

the brain deads see it on the telly then act like brain deads

about time the media en mass were taken to task for yet Again causing panic and problems where non exist.

MG68 Sep 25th, 2021 14:44

The gas stations will shoot themselves in the foot ultimately.

They make peanuts on selling fuel & rely on add on sales in the store. Coffee, confectionary, tobacco etc etc.

They should be rationing fuel to keep the bedwetters / panic buyers at bay.

Apparently it's a short term issue & there is not an issue with the amount of fuel at the refinery....

Another example of what makes Great Britain...Great?

Sotosound Sep 25th, 2021 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_d (Post 2773254)
yeps Yet Another case of
MEDIA Scaremongering causing problems for everyone

the brain deads see it on the telly then act like brain deads

about time the media en mass were taken to task for yet Again causing panic and problems where non exist.

Yeah, but it's such a good story, and it's an opportunity for a trip out to somewhere to stand in front of a camera looking good (snigger), to listen to one's own voice, and potentially to further one's career.

You need to get your priorities right!

Fika Sep 25th, 2021 14:52

Question I've been asking is how would you go about reporting on this issue without triggering a panic? Reporting on it even with the disclaimers "...lack of lorry drivers but we have enough fuel, do not panic buy". We have a lack of trust in the media as well as the govt as either one of them can claim we have enough fuel, and in smelling the rat we decide to opt for precautionary measures.

Zebster Sep 25th, 2021 15:53

Yet another Brexit triumph...

volvo again Sep 25th, 2021 16:01

The moronic panic buyers are creating the shortage, if they had been sensible and just bought their usual amount things would be okay
There have been photo's on social media of people filling up 8 petrol cans, why did the petrol station owners allow this ??

Whippy Sep 25th, 2021 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2773268)
Yet another Brexit triumph...

"Research by logistics analysts Transport Intelligence found that Germany was missing between 45,000 and 60,000 HGV drivers last year. That number is increasing, with the International Road Transport Union warning of a 185,000 shortfall there by 2027. Poland is short 124,000 drivers.

France has also faced a similar crisis, with the country facing a shortage of around 43,000 drivers since 2019. The shortfall in Italy in 2019 was estimated to be around 15,000, Transport Intelligence said. "

Definitely BREXIT then .........😂

Zebster Sep 25th, 2021 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippy (Post 2773272)
"Research by logistics analysts Transport Intelligence found that Germany was missing between 45,000 and 60,000 HGV drivers last year. That number is increasing, with the International Road Transport Union warning of a 185,000 shortfall there by 2027. Poland is short 124,000 drivers.

France has also faced a similar crisis, with the country facing a shortage of around 43,000 drivers since 2019. The shortfall in Italy in 2019 was estimated to be around 15,000, Transport Intelligence said. "

Definitely BREXIT then .........😂

Yep. No doubt.

Familyman 90 Sep 25th, 2021 16:18

You British are a right weird lot.

The moment a fuel company representative or a govern,ent minister says "don't panic buy", you all rush out and do the opposite.